Chance The Rapper continues to take on ventures outside of the traditional rap sphere. After putting on a free event for teens in the Chi, his latest move involves acting.
Rappers' feature film debuts are rarely as successful as T.I.'s in ATL. The 2006 film, directed by prolific music video director Christopher Robinson, earned pretty good reviews, and a cult-like appreciation upon release.
By now, you probably know that A$AP Rocky has a role in the independent film "Dope," and that the film sold for $7 million following a successful showing at Sundance Film Festival.
The phrase "it's a movie" is used pretty often in the rap game to describe an epic or cinematic piece of music, but less often do rappers actually produce films themselves.
As a musician, Kid Cudi's been called a lot of things, but "pop genius" might not be one of them. As an actor, that's a different story entirely, as he's just been tapped to appear as a "brilliant musical prodigy" in the CBS show "Scorpion."
This year's already brought two bits of great news for fans of Donald Glover (or Childish Gambino)'s acting talents.
As of right now, Rihanna's acting experience is limited to a hilarious cameo in "This Is The End" and a role in the ill-fated board game adaptation "Battleship." Her resumé is not exactly exceptional in that department, but it didn't stop the producers of the
Calling all of Childish Gambino's female fans -- you may soon get the chance to see your boy play a stripper in a movie.
Bow Wow (who's recently insisted on using his real name, Shad Moss) has been acting almost as long as he's been rapping, with career-making roles in "Like Mike" and "Roll Bounce" already under his belt at this point.
As an actor, T.I. already has a stellar resumé that includes roles in "ATL," "American Gangster" and "Identity Thief," as well as his several stints in the reality TV world.
50 Cent stays busy in multiple lanes. When he's not working on music for Animal Ambition and possibly Street King Immortal, he's kept himself busy with roles in TV production, and motion pictures as well.
We've seen Kid Cudi's acting chops in the now-cancelled "How To Make It In America" as well as an appearance on "The Cleveland Show," and while we await new music from the rapper we'll be seeing him act once more in a Fox comedy, "Brooklyn Nine-Nine."
Childish Gambino Set To Write & Star In FX Comedy Series Involving Atlanta Music Scene Aug 6, 2013 at 03:57pm
Childish Gambino, also known as Donald Glover, announced recently that he would be taking a step back from comedy in order to focus on music. He now seems to be going back on his word, revealing plans for a new series for FX called "Atlanta".
It seems Eminem turned down a leading role in the upcoming Hollywood science fiction film "Elysium" because his native city of Detroit wasn't chosen as the film's primary location. The lead role was instead given to Matt Damon, who was actually director Neil
Tupac has been immortalized by many, whether it's through music or through film. Gillie Da Kid will continue the tradition by playing the legendary rapper in an upcoming film about Suge Knight.
After her recent stint on FOX's "American Idol", Nicki Minaj has made her presense known in both the music scene and on the small screen.
We first saw 2 Chainz' acting chops when he appeared on an episode of "2 Broke Girls." Now the rapper returns to the small screen, with a cameo in a "Law & Order: SVU" episode.
Hopefully Usher's r'n'b singing and dancing skills translate well into the art of boxing. The singer has been tapped for an upcoming film, where he'll play boxer Sugar Ray Leonard. The film, titled "Hands Of Stone," is about boxer Roberto Duran.
Nicki Minaj has already made her T.V.
- Staff Picks Playlist (October 9)220 Views1 Comment
- How Much A Co-Sign Cost? The Downside Of Collaborating With Drake & Kanye5,184 Views37 Comments
- Drake's "IYRTITL" Is 2015's Highest-Selling Digital Album Through Q3 By Far6,574 Views78 Comments
- Young Thug Doesn't Mind Being Called Gay10,237 Views84 Comments
- Tory Lanez Announces SwaveNation Tour With Boogie2,319 Views30 Comments
- Review: The Game's "Documentary 2"12,716 Views117 Comments
- Gilbert Arenas Won't Stop Trolling Derek Fisher And Matt Barnes On Instagram2,916 Views0 Comments
- Released 20 Years Ago, GZA's "Liquid Swords" Finally Goes Platinum3,866 Views33 Comments
- Eminem Sends Gift To Young Fan With Customized Eminem Prosthetic Legs6,137 Views30 Comments
- Koopsta Knicca Of Three 6 Mafia Dies Following Stroke7,595 Views45 Comments
- Stream The Game's "The Documentary 2"27,416 Views175 Comments
- Kendrick Lamar Shares "Kunta's Groove Sessions" Tour Dates, Jay Rock To Support18,191 Views120 Comments
- Young Chop Calls Out Kanye West For Using Chicago Artists39,192 Views184 Comments
- Beyonce, Jay Z, Kanye West, Rihanna & Pharrell All Suing French Clothing Company29,503 Views46 Comments
You may also like...