Lil Durk’s Murder-For-Hire Trial Begins With Jury Selection

BY Erika Marie
Link Copied to Clipboard!
MLB: Los Angeles Angels at Chicago White Sox
May 2, 2022; Chicago, Illinois, USA; Chicago rapper Lil Durk throws out a ceremonial first pitch before a baseball game between the Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Angels at Guaranteed Rate Field. Mandatory Credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-USA TODAY Sports USA TODAY Sports
A federal jury is being chosen to hear the case accusing Lil Durk of directing the 2022 shooting that killed Lul Pab.

A federal jury is now being assembled to decide whether prosecutors can prove Lil Durk ordered a 2022 attempt on Quando Rondo’s life that instead killed his cousin. Jury selection began Thursday (August 20) in Los Angeles, moving the murder-for-hire case against Durk, whose legal name is Durk Banks, into its trial phase after nearly two years of pretrial fights over evidence, witnesses and the scope of the government’s case.

Durk is being tried alongside Deandre “DeDe” Wilson and David “Browneyez” Lindsey, two defendants prosecutors have tied to the alleged plot. All three have pleaded not guilty. Federal authorities accuse Durk of putting a bounty on Tyquian “Quando Rondo” Bowman in retaliation for the November 2020 killing of King Von. Timothy “Lul Tim” Leeks, an associate of Quando, shot Von during an altercation outside an Atlanta nightclub. The murder charge against Leeks was later dropped after Georgia prosecutors determined he acted in self-defense.

The government says that retaliation reached Los Angeles on August 19, 2022. Prosecutors allege members and associates of Only The Family tracked Quando before gunmen opened fire on his vehicle at a gas station near the Beverly Center. At least 18 shots were fired, according to federal authorities. Quando survived, but his cousin Saviay’a “Lul Pab” Robinson was killed. Investigators contend Durk financed and directed the attack, pointing to travel arrangements, OTF-related money and communications they believe connect him to the men who traveled from Chicago to California.

Read More: Lil Durk Trial Evidence Includes 6ix9ine, Wack 100, & Akademiks Interviews

Texts, Interviews, & Songs Submitted As Evidence

The case jurors will hear has been detailed considerably before anyone takes the witness stand. U.S. District Judge Michael Fitzgerald has ruled on repeated efforts by Durk’s attorneys to suppress government evidence, while another major ruling kept newly added charges from expanding the August trial. In July, Fitzgerald agreed to sever two counts added through a broader indictment, allowing the Los Angeles murder-for-hire case to proceed on schedule rather than forcing the defense to prepare for substantially new allegations weeks before trial. Those severed charges remain pending and could be tried separately.

Jurors will still encounter a sizable collection of material prosecutors say helps establish motive and intent. Fitzgerald has allowed portions of music videos, podcast appearances, text messages, photographs from Durk’s iCloud account, and a 911 call connected to the shooting. The government can also introduce a 2021 DJ Akademiks interview in which 6ix9ine and Wack 100 criticized Durk for supposedly failing to retaliate over Von’s death. Prosecutors say a witness will testify that Durk was bothered by that perception. His defense has disputed the relevance of the interview and challenged the government’s attempts to treat music and public commentary as evidence of criminal intent.

Read More: Lil Durk Allegedly Refused Peace Offering From Quando Rondo Affiliate: "Take The Peace Of The Switch"

Durk has remained in federal custody since his October 2024 arrest near Miami International Airport. Federal investigators said he had booked multiple international flights after learning several defendants had been arrested in the case. His attorneys have maintained his innocence and repeatedly pushed to bring the case before a jury. Once a jury is seated, prosecutors are expected to spend roughly 11 to 13 days presenting their case. Durk faces life in federal prison if convicted on the most serious charges.

Read More: Lil Durk Allegedly Texted “We Got The Location” Weeks After King Von’s Death

About The Author
Since 2019, Erika Marie has worked as a journalist for HotNewHipHop, covering music, film, television, art, fashion, politics, and all things regarding entertainment. With 20 years in the industry under her belt, Erika Marie moved from a writer on the graveyard shift at HNHH to becoming the Co-Head of Original Content. She has had the pleasure of sitting down with artists and personalities like DJ Jazzy Jeff, Salt ’N Pepa, Nick Cannon, Rah Digga, Rakim, Rapsody, Ari Lennox, Jacquees, Roxanne Shante, Yo-Yo, Sean Paul, Raven Symoné, Queen Naija, Ryan Destiny, DreamDoll, DaniLeigh, Sean Kingston, Reginae Carter, Jason Lee, Kamaiyah, Rome Flynn, Zonnique, Fantasia, and Just Blaze—just to name a few. In addition to one-on-one chats with influential public figures, Erika Marie also covers content connected to the culture. She’s attended and covered the BET Awards as well as private listening parties, the Rolling Loud festival, and other events that emphasize established and rising talents. Detroit-born and Long Beach (CA)-raised, Erika Marie has eclectic music taste that often helps direct the interests she focuses on here at HNHH. She finds it necessary to report on cultural conversations with respect and honor those on the mic and the hardworking teams that help get them there. Moreover, as an advocate for women, Erika Marie pays particular attention to the impact of femcees. She sits down with rising rappers for HNHH—like Big Jade, Kali, Rubi Rose, Armani Caesar, and Amy Luciani—to gain their perspectives on a fast-paced industry.