JAŸ-Z’s lawsuit against Tony Buzbee hit a snag after judges questioned the reliability of the rapper’s evidence. This comes as a California appeals court seemed to keep the dismissal of his suit against Buzbee in place. During a hearing Thursday, Aug. 20, a three-judge panel indicated its preliminary view was to uphold a lower court ruling that ended JAŸ-Z’s case against Buzbee, Billboard reports. The lawsuit accused the attorney of manufacturing sexual-assault allegations against the rapper for financial gain and publicity.
A key piece of evidence in JAŸ-Z’s California lawsuit was a recording of an interview between private investigators and the woman, identified in court documents as Jane Doe. JAŸ-Z’s legal team argued that the recording indicated Doe had been pressured by Buzbee to make false allegations.
“My concern is a plaintiff’s lawyer shows up in court and says, ‘Magically this interview has been dropped in my lap, I had nothing to do with it,’” Judge Goorvitch said. “We have no information about where this came from. It looks highly suspicious that somehow, somebody talked to Mr. Buzbee’s client directly.”
JAŸ-Z's Lawsuit Against Tony Buzbee
Judge Anne Richardson also expressed doubts about the interview, stating the recording was “not a reliable statement.” The judge said that Doe appeared to respond to highly suggestive questions. Meanwhile, Buzbee’s attorney, Samuel Moniz, argued that the investigators’ approach was intimidating. “To say these circumstances are inherently intimidating is an understatement,” said Moniz. “If you listen to the recording, her voice is trembling. She’s frightened. She’s totally caught off guard.”
The panel hasn’t issued an immediate ruling. However, the development seems to create a major hurdle for JAŸ-Z’s attempt to appeal the decision. We’ll keep you posted on any further updates on the case.
