Atlanta has birthed plenty of unique hip hop artists, including the likes of Outkast, T.I., Future, and Young Thug. Makonnen is yet another new creative force, with a jarring new sound that owes itself to bedroom pop as much as it does to New Atlanta's highly collaborative trap scene.
Often opting for a ghostly falsetto, Makonnen introduces a vocal style hinted at by contemporaries like Young Thug, but while Thugger always sounds like a rapper experimenting with melody, Makonnen is a songwriter first.
Composing most of his songs on a Roland keyboard, before handing production duties to ATL hitmakers like Metro Boomin, DJ Spinz, Sonny Digital, and 808 Mafia, Makonnen's sound is certainly something new.
His EP, I Love Makonnen, is the singer's most accomplished effort yet. Grab it now for free or purchase it on iTunes.
01. Too Much (Prod. by Metro Boomin)
02. I Don't Sell Molly No More (Prod. by Sonny Digital)
03. Club Goin Up On A Tuesday (Prod. by Sonny Digital, Metro Boomin)
04. Tonight (Prod. by DJ Spinz, DunDeal)
05. Meant To Be (Prod. by FKi)
06. Sarah (Prod. by Sonny Digital, Metro Boomin)
07. Exclusive (Prod. by 808 Mafia, Metro Boomin)