Weekly review of the Hip-Hop and R&B sales/charts.
This week we have a new entry on Charts Don't Lie, with Mobb Deep's new album The Infamous Mobb Deep, celebrating their 20-year anniversary since The Infamous. Their sales are not huge mainstream numbers, but obviously loyal hip-hop heads came through for Havoc and Prodigy as they clock in at #49. We continue to see Jhene Aiko's Sail Out hold on to a spot on the Billboard 200, not too high and not too low, at the mid-40s. She actually finds herself above Drake's NWTS this week, which may come as a surprise. In another interesting turn of events, Pharrell continues to take the lead as an r'n'b/hip-hop artist on the Billboard 200-- he comes in highest this week at #9. While his total sales haven't caught up to Rick Ross' Mastermind quite yet, he's not too far off. We have a feeling G I R L may do better in the long-term thanÂ Mastermind.Â
1) Â Â Â Â Pharrellâ G I R L: Pharrell receives a bit of a push-down this week as new artists enter the Billboard 200. The album dropped from #5 to #9, while moving 25,308 copies. His total sales are now at 242,133.
2) Â Â Â Â YGâÂ My Krazy Life: YGâs debut effort continues to drop down the charts, after debuting at #2 it has not been able to keep a spot within the top 10 locked down for too long. This week My Krazy Life fell to #16 from #7, and YG moved 16,437 copies off the shelves. His total sales reached the 100k mark with 100,288 copies.
3) Â Â Â Â Rick Rossâ Mastermind:Â The self-proclaimed Mastermind continues his drop down the Billboard 200 as well, finding himself below YG this week at #18. After spending five weeks on the charts, heâs moved another 15,336 copies with a grand tally of 289,925.
4) Â Â Â Â Beyonceâ Beyonce: Â Beyonce dropped quite a bit this week, while she spent some time in the Dominican Republic. The pop star fell more than ten spots to #23 with the LP moving 13,000 copies, which is only a drop in sales of 11% despite the spike down the charts.
5) Â Â Â Â EminemâThe Marshall Mathers LP 2: Eminem is up for nomination in Billboard Music Awardâs Top Billboard 200 Album with MMLP2, and itâs definitely been a strong contender on the charts. Em fell to #26 this week, while his album moved 13,000 units. Total sales are currently 2,042,000.
6) Â Â Â Â ScHoolboy QâÂ Oxymoron: Groovy Q has been charting for six weeks now, as Oxymoron drops from #33 to #40 on the Billboard 200. The Black Hippy MC moved 8,500 units over the course of the last seven days, while Oxymoron brought its total sales up to 216,000.
7) Â Â Â Â Jhene AikoâÂ Sail Out EP: Jhene Aikoâs EP continues to compete on the Billboard 200 against relatively bigger releases, and sheâs staying strong. This week Sail Out comes in about Drake, at #47, dropping just three spots. The extended play moved slightly over 7k with 7,137 units.
8) Â Â Â Â Mobb Deepâ The Infamousâ¦Mobb Deep: Â Mobb Deep return while paying homage to their classic LP The Infamous with The Infamousâ¦Mobb Deep. The album debuted on the Billboard 200 this week at #49. It sold 7,100 copies opening week.
9) Â Â Â Â Drakeâ Nothing Was The Same: Â Drizzy Drakeâs album saw a drop of six spots and is down at #57 this week. After spending 28 weeks on the Billboard 200, the YMCMB rapper sold 6,700 copies with total sales at 1,529,000.
10) Â Â Â Young MoneyâÂ Rise Of An Empire: Young Moneyâs time on the charts with Rise Of An Empire definitely wonât be lasting too long. After four weeks, the album already finds itself at #77, having dropped from #59 last week. YM moved 5,100 copies with total sales only reaching 53,000.
Justin Timberlakeâs The 20/20 Experience 2 is still charting although he dropped six spots to #66. Kendrick Lamarâs good kid, m.A.A.d city continues to do numbers although it dropped quite a bit from last weekâs placement at #66. This week he comes in at #90. R. Kellyâs Black Panties is below GKMC, at #99 this week with total sales of approximately 392,000. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, who are among the pack leaders of Billboard Music Award nominations this year (surprise!), drop from #86 to #107 this week.