Ella Mai, Daniel Caesar & Bruno Mars held it down at the Soul Train Awards.
On Sunday night, BET's Soul Train awards brought out some of the stalwart and emerging voices in R&B. In the heated category of "Best New Artist," Daniel Caesar emerged victorious, beating out Jorja Smith, Normani, Leon Thomas, Kali Uchis, and Queen Naija for the prize. Caesar also took home "Best Collaboration Performance," for the H.E.R. assisted "Best Part." Yet being "new" was not enough to dethrone a veteran presence, as Bruno Mars ultimately took home the night's coveted "Best Male Artist" award; the question, of course, being - who can actually defeat Bruno Mars? The answer remains to be seen, as he's simply that endearing.
Ella Mai also came through with a massive night, claiming the "Best New Female" prize, as well as the "Song Of The Year." You already know what it was. "Boo'd Up" remains a cultural phenomenon to be sure, and now, Mai is reaping the spoils of her labor. Yet they were not the only voices to go home with a trophy in hand; of course, Drake had to get his fill. Not to mention, the legendary Erykah Badu held it down with an impressive performance, as well as taking home the prestigious "Legend Award."
Check out the full list of winners below.
- Best New Artist: Daniel Caesar
- Soul Train Certified Award: Ledisi
- Best R&B/Soul Female Artist: Ella Mai
- Best R&B/Soul Male Artist: Bruno Mars
- Best Gospel/Inspirational Award: Lecrae
- Rhythm & Bars Award: Drake, "In My Feelings"
- Song of the Year: Ella Mai, "Boo'd Up"
- Album/Mixtape of the Year: H.E.R., "H.E.R."
- The Ashford and Simpson Songwriter's Award: Ella Mai, "Boo'd Up," written by Ella Howell, Dijon McFarlane, Joelle James and Larrance Dopson
- Best Dance Performance: Ciara, "Level Up"
- Best Collaboration Performance: Daniel Caesar, "Best Part (feat. H.E.R.)"
- Video of the Year: Bruno Mars, "Finesse (Remix) feat. Cardi B"