There's been plenty of speculation, but now an official has come forward and confirmed that Prince's death was caused by an opioid overdose.
Last we reported on Prince's sudden and tragic death, the autopsy report had revealed that Percocet was indeed in Prince' system at the time of his death, but it was not confirmed whether or not the prescription drug had been the cause of his death.
The medical examiner's office has been conducting toxicology tests on the singer, and today it's been confirmed that the iconic artist died of an opioid overdose. A law enforcement official confirmed this news with Associated Press on Thursday, however the official's name has been withheld as he was not authorized to speak to the media.
A week prior to his death, Prince's airplane had to make an emergency landing after the singer was reportedly found unconscious-- first responders reportedly gave him a shot of Narcan, which works as an antidote for opioid overdoses. The singer apparently had plans to meet with an addiction specialist.