Broncos reportedly agree to deal with Keenum.
Free agent quarterback Case Keenum is expected to sign a deal with the Denver Broncos once free agency officially opens at 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 14, according to several reports. The Broncos will be the fifth team that Keenum has played for in the last five years.
He played with Houston in 2014, St. Louis in 2015, Los Angeles in 2016, Minnesota in 2017 and will now head to Denver in 2018.
After stepping in as starting QB for the Minnesota Vikings in Week 2 of the 2017 season, Keenum led the team to a 13-3 record, including a trip to the NFC Championship game where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles. The 30-year old QB finished the season with 3,547 passing yards as well as 22 touchdowns and seven interceptions.
The Broncos went just 5-11 last season and will pick fifth in the upcoming NFL Draft, but they already have a solid defense in place and a number of weapons on offense, including wide receivers Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders.
According to ESPN, Broncos GM John Elway recently said that the team can get back to the playoffs with a QB signing such as Keenum.
"I still think we're not too far away,'' Elway said. "Obviously, we have to get better at that position. We didn't play well there last year. That doesn't all go on the players. There were some things that we should have done, that we should have done differently that we didn't do. I feel like we can get right back in the thick of the things rather quickly. I think we still have a good defensive football team.''