A$AP Rocky’s relatively short career in the rap game has been one filled with high praise.
Seriously, is there a more versatile rap star than Snoop Dogg? Name another rapper who has done full albums of reggae, funk and rap over the last 5 years alone.
Everything about The Barter 6 is enigmatic.Firstly there's its author, Young Thug.
In line with the recent (and awesome) trend of surprise albums, Tyler, the Creator announced Cherry Bomb just a few days prior to its April 13th digital release.
In many ways, the early 2000s belonged to Ludacris. Within that time, the rapper was able to cross multiple platforms, making palatable music for varying tastes tinged with his trademark Dirty South sound.
Action Bronson’s new album is a bid to be considered the funniest man in hip hop. A week after Kendrick Lamar’s album has the entire culture debating race, politics, and society, Mr.
After 2013’s wildly successful good kid, m.A.A.d city, Kendrick Lamar had an opportunity that very few artists ever receive.
Critics are always fighting conflicting urges. On the one hand, there's the need to be objective and evaluate each work on its own merits. On the other, there's the desire to fit each new release from an artist into an over-arcing career narrative.
Straight out of Long Beach, CA, Joey Fatts is the epitome of a rapper from the streets. He tells his story of being raised in the same neighborhood that was home to hip hop legends Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg on Ill Streets Blues.
In the era of Yeezus Christ and King Kendrick, it's easy to fall into the mindset that every hip-hop album should be an experiment in pushing hip-hop forward. Every track should ooze with idealism and what's new. This feeling goes double for mixtapes.
When Drake released his newest mixtape, If You're Reading This It's Too Late, a few days ago, it took the internet by storm. Falling in line with Jay Z, Kanye and Beyoncé before him, he dropped it almost completely out of the blue, with no real warning.
Lupe Fiasco has been in a battle with Atlantic records for what seems to be forever. We all know about his discontent with Lasers and on his mixtape Friend of the People he made it clear that he wanted off the label.
The first Luca Brasi Story, released last February, put Kevin Gates on the map. Soon after, he quietly inked a partnership with Atlantic and a management deal with Young Money.
Ludacris is a veteran in the game. Lyrics, beats, hit songs, a unique style; over his 10-plus year career he has obviously shown why he has been one of the most respected and successful stars in hip hop.
After 14 years of waiting, D’Angelo’s surprise album Black Messiah had every right to be the R&B/Soul equivalent of Guns & Roses' Chinese Democracy - a creaky mess that was done no favors by the weight of fan expectations.
J. Cole has come a long way from rapping about how to get up off the sideline. Three albums in, with 2014 Forest Hills Drive, the “God” is home. The Fayetteville, North Carolina native composed an honest, nostalgic album without any apologies.
A weird thing happens when an artist gets signed to a major label. It seems, no matter how talented they are, no matter how much their fans are willing to support, debut albums almost always come up short. There have been exceptions, of course.
The most interesting hip-hop event of the year has been the meteoric rise of Bobby Shmurda, brought on with the Jahlil Beats-produced “Hot Nigga,” the most surprising single in recent history.
- "SURF" Got You Feeling Like What? Fans Rejoice On Twitter2,800 Views24 Comments
- A$AP Rocky Says He Wanted To Re-Do His Verse On "M'$" After Hearing Lil Wayne's7,036 Views31 Comments
- Allen Iverson Announces Multi-Year Partnership With Stance Socks1,466 Views0 Comments
- Beyoncé's Albums Could Potentially Be Stripped From Tidal5,709 Views15 Comments
- Staff Picks (May 29)613 Views0 Comments
- Samples Of The Week: A$AP Rocky Edition2,632 Views3 Comments
- Suspect In Lil Wayne Bus Shooting May Be Affiliated With Young Thug9,393 Views64 Comments
- What’s New In Battle Rap (May 29)1,399 Views0 Comments
- Jay Z Put On Blast For All-White TIDAL Staff10,356 Views106 Comments
- Q&A With A$AP Rocky's "A.L.L.A." Co-Executive Producer Hector Delgado 3,292 Views9 Comments
- Snoop Dogg Teams Up With Adidas For New Football Cleats417 Views0 Comments
- R. Kelly Announces New Album "Buffet"4,029 Views17 Comments
- Chance The Rapper & Social Experiment Drop "SURF" On iTunes; Available For Stream51,094 Views235 Comments
- Kendrick Lamar Continues To Film "Alright" Video In Los Angeles14,094 Views53 Comments
- Tyler, The Creator, Snoop Dogg, Yelawolf & More To Play Riot Fest4,272 Views13 Comments
You may also like...