OJ Mayo has been banned from the league for two years.
Amidst all of the chaos of NBA free agency, the league has just announced that OJ Mayo has been BANNED for violating the league's anti-drug program. This is a developing story and right now there's no word on specifically what OJ did to get banned but he was suspended a few years back for PED's.
In the official statement released by the NBA, they announced that the free agent guard has been dismissed and disqualified from the league for violating the terms of the program, although the NBA, NBA teams and the NBAPA are prohibited from disclosing information regarding the testing of any player in the program.
Mayo, 28, would be eligible to apply for reinstatement in two years. He appeared in 41 games for the Bucks last year, averaging 7.8 points per game.
Here is the NBA release. O.J. Mayo can't reapply to the league for two years after failing anti-drug program. pic.twitter.com/XyMlBbwUxE— Marc J. Spears (@MarcJSpearsESPN) July 1, 2016
In the NBA CBA, it says, "If a player tests positive for a drug of abuse, he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA."— Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) July 1, 2016
Mayo ban cannot be for PEDs, however, since he'd never been suspended a second time. Has to be for "drug of abuse."— Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) July 1, 2016
Not that there's a good time to get banned for drug abuse, but this is the worst time. One team exec says Mayo cost himself $30-$40M.— Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) July 1, 2016