About Strong Arm Steady
Among the most popular underground hip-hop groups is California-based Strong Arm Steady, consisting of Mitchy Slick, Phil Da Agongy, and Krondon. The group formed in 2003 and to date SAS has released six albums and many other projects – specifically mixtapes. The group was instrumental in making mixtapes a primary means of distribution, as today mixtapes are a key part of the hip-hop game.
SAS has collaborated with many notable artists and producers, both underground and mainstream, including Game, DJ Babu, Chamillionaire, Ras Kass, Madlib, Black Thought, Talib Kweli, Juvenile, DJ Khalil, Phonte, Planet Asia, Fashawn, Evidence, Roscoe, Guilty Simpson, Statik Selektah, Oh No, Nottz, Terrace Martin, KRS-One, Kurupt, Too $hort, Marsha Ambrosius, and several others.
The group signed to Talib Kweli’s Blacksmith Records in 2007. In 2012, one of the multiple projects they dropped was a collaborative album with Statik Selektah. SAS has not yet announced plans for upcoming music, but they have not released a project since 2012 so expect to hear from them soon.
- Their 2010 album “In Search of Stoney Jackson”, a collaboration with Madlib, was considered by many to be among the best albums of the year and was featured on DJ Premier’s blog.
- Group member Krondon is albinistic, like fellow underground sensation Brother Ali.
- Krondon is known to do a lot of ghost writing and has written for Snoop Dogg.
- In order to craft the best project, SAS made over 150 songs for their 2011 album “Arms & Hammers” that took five years to make.
- Xzibit used to be the frontman of SAS.