The importance of an album can be measured in several ways. Some are deemed iconic because of sale figures, others by the creativity and artistic integrity of the work, others still by their cultural influence.
In early 1999, a white rapper came out of relative obscurity and pissed off a lot of people. He was a white kid from Detroit, backed by a legend in Dr. Dre, and savvy music -industry heavyweight Jimmy Lovine.
Juvenile’s 400 Degreez was released in 1998, 16 years ago today. Solely produced by Mannie Fresh, it was Juvenile’s third studio album and first album released on a major label.
On certain occasions obscure and experimental sounds explode into something extraordinary.
Big L was a New York ‘representer’ straight from the danger zone of Harlem, and in the words of my father, who hung out with the young Lamont Coleman in the 90’s: “Big L was a charismatic and cool cat back then.
On March 14th, 1995, Tupac Shakur released some of his finest work in the form of Me Against The World. The album, which is considered by many as his magnum opus, is comprised of 15 tracks on which Shakur wears his heart on his sleeve.
Yeah, yeah, it's been twenty years and you're old now. Twenty years since those early copies of Illmatic graced those long-lost, seemingly eternally dusty, record store shelves (remember record stores?
Pharcyde's Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde was released 22 years ago today on November 24, 1992, through Delicious Vinyl Records.
Rap’s early origins, if we are being historically correct, were partially nurtured by punk and new wave, coming out of rebellious Manhattan kids (and those influenced by the music coming out of the area).
- A$AP Rocky Settles 2013 Assault Case407 Views2 Comments
- Quavo & Offset Of Migos Arrested During Concert At Georgia Southern University8,535 Views21 Comments
- The Weeknd Brings Out Kanye West At Coachella5,329 Views25 Comments
- Victim in Suge Knight Hit-And-Run Incident Blames Self For Terry Carter's Death10,883 Views37 Comments
- TIDAL Just Sacked Its CEO35,972 Views88 Comments
- Underrated Audio: April 11 - April 173,089 Views1 Comment
- 10 Essential Father Tracks6,298 Views15 Comments
- Jeremih Sued Over "Don't Tell 'Em" Artwork12,909 Views27 Comments
- Jordan Brand Gave Nicki Minaj Her Own 'Pink Print' Air Jordans4,060 Views0 Comments
- Ranking The NBA Playoffs Series' From Least To Most Compelling2,617 Views0 Comments
- Charts Don't Lie: April 188,823 Views29 Comments
- Curtis Williams & Key! Arrested On Felony Charges12,517 Views28 Comments
- Stream Berner & B-Real's New EP "Prohibition 2"4,530 Views3 Comments
- 140 Bars Or Less: Tweets Of The Week (April 11 - April 17)10,829 Views11 Comments
- Tyler, The Creator, Vic Mensa, T-Pain, More Tapped For Mad Decent Block Party7,747 Views10 Comments
You may also like...
- Told Y'all389 Views