The importance of an album can be measured in several ways. Some are deemed iconic because of sale figures, others by the creativity and artistic integrity of the work, others still by their cultural influence.
In early 1999, a white rapper came out of relative obscurity and pissed off a lot of people. He was a white kid from Detroit, backed by a legend in Dr. Dre, and savvy music -industry heavyweight Jimmy Lovine.
Juvenile’s 400 Degreez was released in 1998, 16 years ago today. Solely produced by Mannie Fresh, it was Juvenile’s third studio album and first album released on a major label.
On certain occasions obscure and experimental sounds explode into something extraordinary.
Big L was a New York ‘representer’ straight from the danger zone of Harlem, and in the words of my father, who hung out with the young Lamont Coleman in the 90’s: “Big L was a charismatic and cool cat back then.
On March 14th, 1995, Tupac Shakur released some of his finest work in the form of Me Against The World. The album, which is considered by many as his magnum opus, is comprised of 15 tracks on which Shakur wears his heart on his sleeve.
Atlanta is a modern-day hotspot for rap music, but before Young Thug, Migos, Ludacris, Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy or T.I. had captured the spotlight, there was a duo named OutKast.
Yeah, yeah, it's been twenty years and you're old now. Twenty years since those early copies of Illmatic graced those long-lost, seemingly eternally dusty, record store shelves (remember record stores?
Pharcyde's Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde was released 22 years ago today on November 24, 1992, through Delicious Vinyl Records.
Rap’s early origins, if we are being historically correct, were partially nurtured by punk and new wave, coming out of rebellious Manhattan kids (and those influenced by the music coming out of the area).
Mobb Deep’s second studio album, The Infamous, turns 20 years old today. Through quality bars, samples, beats, and skits, Havoc and Prodigy were able to impact the trajectory hip-hop by delivering a record that is in the GOAT discussion for many.
- 140 Bars: Tweets Of The Week (May 16 - 22)2,410 Views7 Comments
- Nicki Minaj Releases "The Night Is Still Young" Video Exclusively On TIDAL5,035 Views31 Comments
- 50 Cent Sues Rick Ross For Allegedly Leaking His Own Baby Mama's Sex Tape13,373 Views36 Comments
- The Atlanta Hawks Are Begging Lil B To Show Mercy On Them3,791 Views0 Comments
- T'yanna Wallace Answers Questions From Biggie Fans3,060 Views5 Comments
- Staff Picks Playlist (May 22)1,085 Views1 Comment
- Eminem To Executive Produce "Southpaw" Soundtrack3,075 Views22 Comments
- French Montana Decries "Hateful Speech" Surrounding Chinx's Death18,272 Views50 Comments
- James Harden Has Been Cursed By Lil B The Based God5,821 Views0 Comments
- Fabolous Announces "Friday Night Freestyles" Mixtape11,752 Views60 Comments
- Wiz Khalifa Announces Sequel To "Rolling Papers" Album31,211 Views149 Comments
- Nicki Minaj Says Jay Z Collaboration Is Dropping Soon11,702 Views60 Comments
- Beanie Sigel Wants To Collaborate With Jay Z Again7,042 Views28 Comments
- The Weeknd & Drake Score MMVA Nominations7,124 Views17 Comments
- TBT: Ice Cube7,098 Views28 Comments