The importance of an album can be measured in several ways. Some are deemed iconic because of sale figures, others by the creativity and artistic integrity of the work, others still by their cultural influence.
In early 1999, a white rapper came out of relative obscurity and pissed off a lot of people. He was a white kid from Detroit, backed by a legend in Dr. Dre, and savvy music -industry heavyweight Jimmy Lovine.
Juvenile’s 400 Degreez was released in 1998, 16 years ago today. Solely produced by Mannie Fresh, it was Juvenile’s third studio album and first album released on a major label.
On certain occasions obscure and experimental sounds explode into something extraordinary.
On March 14th, 1995, Tupac Shakur released some of his finest work in the form of Me Against The World. The album, which is considered by many as his magnum opus, is comprised of 15 tracks on which Shakur wears his heart on his sleeve.
Big L was a New York ‘representer’ straight from the danger zone of Harlem, and in the words of my father, who hung out with the young Lamont Coleman in the 90’s: “Big L was a charismatic and cool cat back then.
Yeah, yeah, it's been twenty years and you're old now. Twenty years since those early copies of Illmatic graced those long-lost, seemingly eternally dusty, record store shelves (remember record stores?
Pharcyde's Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde was released 22 years ago today on November 24, 1992, through Delicious Vinyl Records.
Rap’s early origins, if we are being historically correct, were partially nurtured by punk and new wave, coming out of rebellious Manhattan kids (and those influenced by the music coming out of the area).
- Migos Announce "Young Rich Nation" Tour With OG Maco448 Views2 Comments
- Contest: Win Jarren Benton Tickets + Meet & Greet93 Views0 Comments
- Justin Bieber's Next Album Will Have Production From Kanye West & Rick Rubin2,470 Views16 Comments
- Stream Shlohmo's New Album "Dark Red"544 Views4 Comments
- Young Dro Arrested For Theft4,972 Views15 Comments
- How To Tell If Your Yeezy Boosts Are Fake1,707 Views0 Comments
- Summer Jam 2015 Lineup Revealed, Featuring Kendrick Lamar, Chris Brown, Big Sean & More6,123 Views12 Comments
- Stream Wale's New Album "The Album About Nothing"13,494 Views76 Comments
- Stream Ludacris' New Album "Ludaversal"4,866 Views28 Comments
- Jay Z Wants TIDAL To "Extend The Album Cycle" & Restore "Fair Trade" In Music18,553 Views33 Comments
- Top 5 "Shook Ones" Freestyles18,238 Views61 Comments
- Kanye West, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, J. Cole & More Announced As Owners Of TIDAL39,786 Views70 Comments
- Lil Wayne To Release "Free Weezy Album" In April?22,131 Views83 Comments
- Kevin Durant Lists His Top-10 NBA Players, Speaks On His 'Rap Career' + More3,464 Views0 Comments
- Rihanna's 10 Hardest Hip Hop Tracks6,949 Views9 Comments
You may also like...
- Deniro Farrar "Tired" Video0 Views
- DeJ Loaf "On My Own" Video614 Views
- Kid Ink Feat. DeJ Loaf "Be Real" Video1,837 Views