Macklemore is the most successful independent artist to blow up in recent memory, in any genre – so much so that he more so orbits the rap game as opposed to being completely immersed in it. After putting in well over a decade of work, things finally took off for him in 2013 after he and Ryan Lewis’ “Thrift Shop” single/visual became a viral hit, quickly reaching the #1 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart without major label support. Throughout his 13-year career, the Seattle native has collaborated with Scientific Shaman, Illmaculate, Buffalo Madonna, Ziggy Stardust, Wanz, Fences, Suntonio Bandanaz, Abyssinian Creole, Evan Roman, Grynch, C-Nik, Notion, Neema, CunninLynguists, Grieves, Geologic, Blue Scholars, Debaser, Ray Dalton, Mary Lambert, Hollis, Clinton Sparks, 2 Chainz, D.A., Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q and more. Most recently, he and Lewis’ latest album The Heist went platinum, and they announced a hiatus from the spotlight as well as plans to work on new music for 2014. They’re also nominated for seven awards at the 56th Annual GRAMMYs. Stay tuned.
- Macklemore is of Irish descent.
- Early in his career, he facilitated music workshops at youth detention centres as part of the Gateways For Incarcerated Youth program in Seattle.
- He was first introduced to hip-hop at age 6 via Digital Underground.
- He started seriously pursuing a career in rap at age fourteen.
- Macklemore has a bachelor's degree from Evergreen State College.
The Language Of My World 2005
- Macklemore Responds To Allegations Of Anti-Semitism 12.5K Views
- Stay Sober: Rappers Who Don't Smoke Or Drink 172.1K Views
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Justin Timberlake Lead Rap And R&B Billboard Music Award Nominations 4K Views
- Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" Tops Billboard's 100 Hot Rap Songs Of The Last 25 Years 21K Views
- Kanye West Defends Drake, Criticizes Rolling Stone 27.9K Views
- Charts Don’t Lie: February 16 10.3K Views
- Drake Calls Macklemore's Apology Text To Kendrick Lamar "Wack As Fuck" 80.5K Views