About Frank Ocean
Frank Ocean is one of, if not the most recognizable R&B crooner of the new generation. After joining the Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All collective in 2010 and receiving critical praise for his debut mixtape Nostalgia, Ultra, the New Orleans native skyrocketed to recognition, touring internationally and appearing on Jay Z and Kanye West’s collaborative album Watch The Throne (on the standout cut "No Church In The Wild"). His debut studio album Channel Orange, released in 2012, peaked at #2 on the Billboard 200 and has been certified gold (not to mention the universal praise from critics).
Throughout his relatively brief career, the OFWGKTA affiliate has also collaborated with John Mayer, Nas, Laetita Sadier, Mann, Kendrick Lamar, Brandy, Justin Bieber, John Legend, Bridget Kelly and more, and is otherwise in high demand.
Most recently, he headlined an Odd Future carnival with Tyler, The Creator, admitted to selling drugs in high school, appeared on Beyonce's "Superpower" as well as Jay Z’s "Oceans", and returned to the studio after somewhat of a hiatus. Stay tuned, folks.
- Although a New Orleans representative, he was born in Long Beach, California.
- His earlier musical influences include Celine Dion, The Phantom Of The Opera soundtrack and Anita Baker.
- Ocean attended the University of New Orleans as well as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- Frank Ocean has ghost-written for John Legend, Brandy, Justin Bieber and more.
- He legally changed his name from Christopher Breaux to Christopher Francis Ocean in 2010.
- Frank Ocean loves video games, especially the original Playstation.
- Chris Ocean dated Givenchy’s Creative Director Riccardo Tisci.
- Frank Ocean is a recovering claustrophobe.
- Ocean relocated to Los Angeles after much his work was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.
- His debut album, Channel ORANGE, reminds him of the summer he first fell in love.
- Channel Orange2013
- Nostalgia, Ultra2012