A look at the week in rap and R&B sales and chart placements.
With Adele taking the #1 spot again this week, the top-selling album in the country alludes the hip hop industry. It wasn't a total loss though, however, as Rihanna jumps from #3 to #2 with her newest record ANTI. Does Rihanna have what it takes to beat out Adele next week? Time will tell...
Yo Gotti showed up strong with the release of his fifth album The Art of Hustle, debuting at #4 and moving 45k+ units in pure sales. The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar continue to see success from their big Grammy wins, and newcomers like Bryson Tiller and Kevin Gates continue to go hard with their debut studio records. Fetty Wap and J. Cole are sticking around the top 25, while Future slips pretty quickly after debuting at #1.
1) Rihanna - ANTI: Rihanna is inching up the charts, moving from #3 last week to #2 this week, but her sales weren't quite enough to bump Adele from the #1 spot. Rihanna did 79,827 TAEU with 28,481 in pure sales. For reference, Adele had 108,465 TAEU, so there's still a ways to go there for the "Work" star. She's at 238,306 total pure album sales.
2) Yo Gotti - The Art of Hustle: Yo Gotti's fifth studio album did some impressive numbers, boasting 61,393 TAEU and 45,101 in pure sales following its February 19th release. The Art of Hustle debuted at #4, just behind Justin Bieber's Purpose and right in front of Chris Stapleton's Traveller.
3) The Weeknd - Beauty Behind the Madness: The Weeknd sticks at #6 for the second week in a row, following a boost in sales due to Grammy attention. This week, Abel tacks on an extra 40,618 TAEU and 19,072 units in pure sales during his his 26th week on the charts. His total pure album sales are 985,865 thus far.
4) Kevin Gates - Islah: After spending last week at #11, Kevin Gates busts back into the top 10, landing at the #9 spot for his album Islah. With 32,107 TAEU and 16,181 in sales, Gates continues to show up strong. Gates is at 154,000 total pure album sales.
5) Bryson Tiller - T R A P S O U L: Bryson Tiller breaks into the top 10 once again as well, landing at the #10 spot after charting at #13 last week. With 9,851 units sold and 30,907 TAEU clocked, Tiller continues move units with his infectious alt-R&B sound. He's at 249,550 total pure album sales.
6) G-Eazy - When It's Dark Out: At #11 is G-Eazy, the California rapper who's enjoying breakthrough success with his sophomore LP When It's Dark Out. This week, he clocks 28,510 TAEU and 6,291 in pure sales, edging out Taylor Swift who dropped from #8 to #12. His pure album sales total is 237,000.
7) Future - EVOL: After debuting at #1, Future has slipped pretty quickly down the charts. This week, the prolific Atlanta artist lands at #14, moving 24,243 TAEU and 6,883 in pure sales. Future's pure sales total is 125,000.
8) Fetty Wap - Fetty Wap: It was a good week for Fetty Wap, who's still riding strong off the success of his self-titled debut LP. After spending last week at #20, he moves up to #15, tacking on another 22,933 TAEU and 5,019 pure sales to triumphant rise. He's at 299,000 total pure album sales.
9) Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly: Celebrating his 50th week on the charts is Kendrick Lamar. After peaking at #1, To Pimp a Butterfly has fluttered all around the charts, but is seeing a renewed success due to a huge night at the Grammys. This week, Kendrick logs 20,991 TAEU and 14,020 pure sales to his jazz-rap masterpiece. K-Dot has now has 850,000 pure album sales.
10) J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive: In its 64th week on the Billboard chart, 2014 Forest Hills Drive has jumped from #33 to #25, proving that it's still moving units. Congrats to Cole for continuing to impact the mainstream with conscious music. Cole's now at 1,145,000 pure album sales.
After snaggin #1 last week, Rihanna and Drake hold it down in the top spot for the second week in a row. Desiigner's "Panda" breaks into the Hot 100 this week, claiming the #96 spot after all of the attention The Life of Pablo brought to the Brooklyn rapper. Belly's track "Might Not," which features The Weeknd, claims the #100 spot as well, making six total tracks with Abel's voice on the chart. Drake stays holding it down with four tracks in the top 100, Bryson Tiller has three, while Future and Kevin Gates both have a pair each.