Weekly review of the Hip-Hop and R&B sales/charts.
This week everyone's favorite dope boy Pusha T finally made his Charts debut, with My Name Is My Name. The album, which has been praised highly by most, managed a #4 debut, selling on the lower-end of the projected amount, with 75k. While it's solid numbers for a rapper who's been in the underground for most of his career, what does it say about those supporting 'real rap'? That there aren't that many? Danny Brown's Old takes this question even further, as the Detroit emcee pushed Nelly numbers aka 15,000 units opening week. Danny is more wedged into the underground scene than Pusha, so his numbers may or may not come as surprise-- but we were expecting something just a little bit higher. But, as usual, we have to remind ourselves that sales don't equal quality (see: Miley Cyrus' Bangerz album pushed 270k).
1) Drake— Nothing Was The Same: Drizzy Drake is remaining pretty consistent on the charts. He continued his one-spot drop this week, falling from #2 to #3. He sold another 82,843 units (a 45% decrease in sales from last week), making his total sales 889,292.
2) Pusha T— My Name Is My Name: Pusha T’s long-awaited debut album finally released, and didn’t do too shabby in terms of numbers (at least when it comes to hip-hop). The Clipse rapper pushed 75,000 units opening week, which wasn’t enough to top Drake’s NWTS this week. However, it does make MNIMN Pusha’s highest charting album to date. He debuted at #4 on the Billboard 200.
3) Justin Timberlake—The 20/20 Experience 2: Justin Timberlake debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 last week with his second album in a year, however, he wasn’t able to hold on to it for more than a week—Miley Cyrus claimed the #1 spot this week. JT fell four spots to #5, selling around 72,000 copies, which is a drop in sales of 79%.
4) Danny Brown—Old: Danny Brown’s Old is a fairly underground release, so the rapper didn’t do too much damage numbers-wise, however fans and critics have praised his LP. The Detroit rapper sold 15,000 copies opening week, and debuted at #18.
5) John Legend—Love In The Future: John Legend found himself up a few spots from last week, going from #29 to #25. The singer sold 12,256 units.
6) Robin Thicke— Blurred Lines: Robin Thicke, who recently appeared on Oprah’s Next Chapter for an in-depth interview where he discussed his new-found mainstream fame, saw quite a drop this week. The Blurred Lines album dropped from #15 to #27, dropping in sales by 24% and selling 11,416.
7) Jay Z— Magna Carta Holy Grail: Hov’s had a good run on the Billboard charts with MCHG, and continues to do so. The album fell from #26 to #31, after 14 weeks of charting. He moved 10,000 copies making his total 1,025,000 units.
8) 2 Chainz— B.O.A.T.S. II: #ME Time: Tity Boi’s sales for his sophomore album haven’t been nearly as impressive as his debut. This week he dropped 9 spots, from #28 to #37. He moved another 9,000 units with total sales at 135,000 copies.
9) Justin Timberlake— The 20/20 Experience: Could this be the last we see of Justin Timberlake’s The 20/20 Experience? Is it really falling off this time? We’re not sure yet, but the album dropped more than 30 spots this week, from #11 to #45. He still sold 8k, with total sales in the two millions, 2,318,000.
10) Macklemore & Ryan Lewis—The Heist: Another album that’s starting to fall off, one which we saw steady selling week after week. The Heist fell from #39 to #48, after 53 weeks of charting. The duo sold 8k, with total sales at 1,105,000.
Further below Macklemore & Ryan Lewis we find The Weeknd's Kiss Land album. Kiss Land comes in at #53 from #40 last week. Kendrick Lamar hasn't left us just yet, with good kid, m.A.A.d city dropping only three spots this week, coming at #59. The California native sold another 6k bringing his total sales up to 1,058,000. The MMG rappers dropped twenty spots this week, from #44 to #66 after 4 weeks on the charts for Self Made 3. Nelly, who debuted with M.O. at #14 last week, selling only 15k, followed that up this week by moving 5k and coming at #77, which rounds out his total sales to 20k.