About Brick Squad
Even the most peripheral rap fan will have at least heard of Gucci Mane's 1017 Brick Squad collective / imprint - either that or the oft-shouted "SQUAAAD!" ad-lib associated with it (popularized by estranged affiliate Waka Flocka Flame). Unfortunately, after months of disagreements from within the label in late 2013 (mostly between Gucci Mane and Waka), the collective's spirit deteriorated. It all began with a tweet from Gucci that simply read: "Fuck bricksquad im. Sucka free. 1017". This was apparently brought on by accusations that Gucci paid for rapper Young Vito's lawyer fees during his trial for the murder of Brick Squad artist Slim Dunkin, of which he was eventually acquitted. Understandably, the Brick Squad Records CEO went on to seriously deny this claim, and a long exchange ensued on Twitter throughout the day. Waka and Gucci took shots at each other first, and were eventually joined by Waka's cousin Frenchie (who took his side) and Wooh Da Kid, who took the opportunity to attack both Gucci and OJ Da Juiceman. Frenchie accused Gucci of stealing money from him that was owed after his signing with Brick Squad (via Warner). However, Gucci claimed the money had in fact been taken by his former manager, Debra Antney, who is both Waka's mother and Frenchie's aunt. Needless to say, this didn't go over well. At this point, the future of Brick Squad is uncertain. Waka Flocka claims to own a stake in the label, as well as owning its subsidiary imprint Brick Squad Monopoly. Also, Chief Keef, Young Scooter, and Young Thug have all recently signed to Brick Squad 1017. Stay tuned for updates.
- 1017 Brick Squad Records came to be after the dissolution of So Icey Entertainment.
- Waka Flocka Flame's Brick Squad Monopoly imprint is a subsidiary of 1017 Brick Squad.
- Other than Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka Flame and OJ Da Juiceman were 1017 Brick Squad's first signees.
- The label got its first taste of mainstream success after Gucci released his 2009 album The State vs. Radric Davis.
- Unfortunately, Gucci Mane filed a lawsuit against OJ Da Juiceman, Khia Stone, Zaytoven, Waka Flocka Flame and his mother Debra Antney in November 2013, accusing them of breach of contract, racketeering and fraud.
- U Mean 2 Tell Me Plies Feat. Young Scooter21K Views19 Comments
- What Happened To Me Young Scooter15K Views11 Comments
- Cost To Be Me Peewee Longway2.8K Views3 Comments
- Everything Brick Squad247 Views10 Comments
- Young Dolph "PREACH" Video2,481 Views
- Jay 305 Feat. Joe Moses "Thuggin" Video2,329 Views2 Comments
- Young Scooter "Talks Gucci Mane & Brick Squad" Video34 Views2 Comments
- Who Is Rickey Wayne?T-Wayne82K Views 13K Downloads 47 Comments
- 6 Ringz 2 (The Playoffs Edition)OJ Da Juiceman35K Views 5.7K Downloads 27 Comments
- Gucci Mane Presents: Bricksquad Mafia (Hosted By DBrick Squad28K Views 16K Downloads 20 Comments
- Review: Chief Keef's "Bang Pt. 2"39,318 Views
- Kelly Rowland Joins The Cast Of "Empire"454 Views3 Comments
- Behind The Beat: TM881,278 Views8 Comments
- Kendrick Lamar's Next Reebok Collab Tries To Unite Gang Members1,702 Views0 Comments
- Papoose & Remy Ma To Join Cast Of "Love & Hip-Hop"1,877 Views17 Comments
- Stream Statik Selektah's New Album "Lucky 7"922 Views10 Comments
- 50 Cent & Jake Gyllenhaal Cover VIBE Magazine1,740 Views11 Comments
- Rick Ross Reportedly Prepping New Album "Black Dollar"6,153 Views31 Comments
- Top Tracks: June 29 - July 52,504 Views3 Comments
- Miguel Clarifies Frank Ocean Statement19,387 Views44 Comments
- The Game Says Dr. Dre Called "The Documentary 2" The Best Rap Album In 5 Years32,837 Views257 Comments
- The 10 Best Nina Simone Samples In Hip Hop6,429 Views3 Comments
- First Week Sales Numbers For Meek Mill's "Dreams Worth More Than Money"52,155 Views159 Comments
- Kidd Kidd Released From Jail8,846 Views30 Comments
- Diddy Reportedly Preparing "No Way Out 2" As His Final Album10,042 Views28 Comments