Last week we saw several independent rappers make their debut on the charts (sort of-- some of them didn't sell enough to actually chart, yet), but this week we return to the big guns, like Drake and DJ Khaled.
Obviously the biggest topic of this week's Charts is Drizzy Drake. The rapper utilized the surprise release tactic that we've seen several artists find success with over the last year or two, and it definitely paid off for him as well.
This week nothing major dropped in terms of hip-hop. Nonetheless, overall album sales went up by 42%. To what can we blame this spike in sales? It would be safe to say Black Friday, which is basically the commencement of the holiday season/shopping frenzy.
This week we see a few fluctuations within Charts Don't Lie, however Nicki Minaj keeps the #2 spot on lock with The Pinkprint. It's not a bad resting place per say, although we're sure #1 would have felt that much better.
With the holidays in full swing, shopping and spending is at an annual high, and it’s semi-ironic that a Jesus titled album heads up our charts this week. The numbers are not
MMG is beginning to look like a truly unstoppable force as even natural disasters can't seem to stop them, or even slow them down. A few weeks ago we got the release of one of the most anticipated albums of the year in Kendrick Lamar’s GKMC, which has
This week we’re seeing a new entry with G-Unit’s The Beast Is G-Unit EP hitting the charts. Although it moved under 20k opening week, we doubt the Unit is too upset.
This week is an exciting not only due to a lot of movement in the chart, but the fact that four rap albums take up the top spots on the Billboard 200.
50 Cent entered the Billboard 200 this week, with Animal Ambition moving more than the projected amount, although it's still not the numbers Fif used to do. It's independent numbers though, with a showing of 47,000 units.
In the competition between the same-day release rappers Juicy J and Big Sean Juicy J appears to be taking the lead, although Sean debuted stronger than Juicy initially. Not to say they both haven't fallen quite a few spots-- they have.
This week we find Rick Ross atop on the Billboard 200 with his sixth studio album proving he's still got it. Mastermind managed to sell more than the projected amount, although he didn't quite reach 180k, he moved 179,215 copies.
We'll be seeing a lot of Drake on Charts Don't Lie for the foreseeable future. The rapper dominated the Billboard 200 last week, and after getting bumped from #1 by Imagine Dragons' new album, he's sitting comfy at #2, moving over 150k in his second week.
While there were a couple of debuts this week, the top 2 albums were not able to be unseated. Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly is still sitting comfortably atop the charts, while the Empire soundtrack trails not-so-far behind.
This week all eyes are Kanye West, J. Cole and Mac Miller. But mainly Kanye West. The three rappers are releasing their respective projects two days from now (Tuesday, June 18th) and we will be watching the sales and the charts to see where each artist lands.
We saw a brief hiatus of Charts Don't Lie over the holiday break, but that doesn't mean sales slowed down, in fact, it appears to have been the opposite.
This week we were extremely impressed by the numbers that Justin Timberlake pulled with his new album, The 20/20 Experience. Within the hip-hop/r’n’b-sphere, we haven’t seen a chart topper sell the amount JT sold in a while. The artist pulled in
This week we don't have many new entries to speak of, save for Sage The Gemini's Remember Me. Depending on the numbers Smoke DZA's new album Dream.ZONE.Achieve did, we may or may not see it pop up on Charts Don't Lie next week, though.
- French Montana Shares Artwork & Tracklist From "Casino Life 2"18,799 Views93 Comments
- Stephen Curry To Be Named NBA MVP4,475 Views0 Comments
- Houston Astros Are Selling Hats Signed By Bun B And Fat Joe For $2004,871 Views16 Comments
- Madonna Wishes She Didn't Kiss Drake At Coachella47,440 Views96 Comments
- Underrated Audio: April 25 - May 12,655 Views3 Comments
- Kanye West Changes His Album Title35,403 Views84 Comments
- See The Tracklist To Jamie Foxx's "Hollywood: A Story Of A Dozen Roses"8,545 Views18 Comments
- Beyonce Signs 3 Teenagers For $1.5 Million23,092 Views29 Comments
- Review: Raekwon's "Fly International Luxurious Art"5,047 Views25 Comments
- Wiz Khalifa Performs "See You Again" & "We Dem Boyz" On SNL8,077 Views13 Comments
- De La Soul Raised Over $600K On Kickstarter For Their New Album7,920 Views37 Comments
- Barter 6 Producer Wheezy Wants To Work With Lil Wayne32,447 Views61 Comments
- Lyrical Allegiance: Picking Pacquiao/Mayweather Sides Through Song12,911 Views31 Comments
- Turk Files Default Motion After Cash Money Ignores His Lawsuit12,088 Views24 Comments
- Jay Z, Drake & Eminem Are Among Billboard's "Money-Makers" Of 201438,688 Views22 Comments
You may also like...