Last week we saw several independent rappers make their debut on the charts (sort of-- some of them didn't sell enough to actually chart, yet), but this week we return to the big guns, like Drake and DJ Khaled.
This wasn't a very exciting week for rap on the charts. Over the last couple cycles we've seen the same albums slowly descending, with Drake being the only record to have a second wind in recent weeks.
Obviously the biggest topic of this week's Charts is Drizzy Drake. The rapper utilized the surprise release tactic that we've seen several artists find success with over the last year or two, and it definitely paid off for him as well.
This week nothing major dropped in terms of hip-hop. Nonetheless, overall album sales went up by 42%. To what can we blame this spike in sales? It would be safe to say Black Friday, which is basically the commencement of the holiday season/shopping frenzy.
This week we see a few fluctuations within Charts Don't Lie, however Nicki Minaj keeps the #2 spot on lock with The Pinkprint. It's not a bad resting place per say, although we're sure #1 would have felt that much better.
With the holidays in full swing, shopping and spending is at an annual high, and it’s semi-ironic that a Jesus titled album heads up our charts this week. The numbers are not
This week we’re seeing a new entry with G-Unit’s The Beast Is G-Unit EP hitting the charts. Although it moved under 20k opening week, we doubt the Unit is too upset.
This week is an exciting not only due to a lot of movement in the chart, but the fact that four rap albums take up the top spots on the Billboard 200.
50 Cent entered the Billboard 200 this week, with Animal Ambition moving more than the projected amount, although it's still not the numbers Fif used to do. It's independent numbers though, with a showing of 47,000 units.
In the competition between the same-day release rappers Juicy J and Big Sean Juicy J appears to be taking the lead, although Sean debuted stronger than Juicy initially. Not to say they both haven't fallen quite a few spots-- they have.
This week we find Rick Ross atop on the Billboard 200 with his sixth studio album proving he's still got it. Mastermind managed to sell more than the projected amount, although he didn't quite reach 180k, he moved 179,215 copies.
We'll be seeing a lot of Drake on Charts Don't Lie for the foreseeable future. The rapper dominated the Billboard 200 last week, and after getting bumped from #1 by Imagine Dragons' new album, he's sitting comfy at #2, moving over 150k in his second week.
While there were a couple of debuts this week, the top 2 albums were not able to be unseated. Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly is still sitting comfortably atop the charts, while the Empire soundtrack trails not-so-far behind.
This week all eyes are Kanye West, J. Cole and Mac Miller. But mainly Kanye West. The three rappers are releasing their respective projects two days from now (Tuesday, June 18th) and we will be watching the sales and the charts to see where each artist lands.
We saw a brief hiatus of Charts Don't Lie over the holiday break, but that doesn't mean sales slowed down, in fact, it appears to have been the opposite.
This week marks the end of an era, with Wiz Khalifa's "See You Again" unseating the seemingly invincible "Uptown Funk". The success of Khalifa's record was seen in album sales as well with Furious 7 moving up to the top spot on the Billboard 200.
This week we were extremely impressed by the numbers that Justin Timberlake pulled with his new album, The 20/20 Experience. Within the hip-hop/r’n’b-sphere, we haven’t seen a chart topper sell the amount JT sold in a while. The artist pulled in
- Fabolous Announces "Friday Night Freestyles" Mixtape3,877 Views37 Comments
- Wiz Khalifa Announces Sequel To "Rolling Papers" Album16,146 Views120 Comments
- Nicki Minaj Says Jay Z Collaboration Is Dropping Soon8,958 Views45 Comments
- Beanie Sigel Wants To Collaborate With Jay Z Again5,271 Views24 Comments
- The Weeknd & Drake Score MMVA Nominations5,720 Views14 Comments
- TBT: Ice Cube5,893 Views24 Comments
- PayPal Ordered To Re-Pay $15 Million For Scamming Customers8,137 Views0 Comments
- Flavor Flav Arrested On DUI & Possession Charges11,058 Views29 Comments
- Biggie Tracks To Commemorate His 43rd Birthday4,009 Views18 Comments
- Is Meek Mill Dropping A Mixtape Next Month?22,133 Views42 Comments
- Tracklist Revealed For A$AP Rocky's "A.L.L.A"39,305 Views186 Comments
- Digital Cover Story: Dizzy Wright (May/June)3,022 Views6 Comments
- 2014-15 All-NBA Teams Announced1,925 Views0 Comments
- New Drake & Beyonce Collaboration "Can I" Leaks Online36,836 Views69 Comments
- Ab-Soul Hints At Collaboration With Isaiah Rashad7,027 Views31 Comments