Former Cash Money super producer Mannie Fresh has opened a new chapter in his musical evolution with a new group called Sole Fresh.
The group, comprised of a pair of New Orleans teenagers, garnered Mannie’s attention as they found a following on the local music scene.
Knoxx St. Peter told AllHipHop.com, “We just created some buzz in the city. We were opening for Drake, Knuxx and Tyga and Mannie is like the kingpin of New Orleans, like the Hip-Hop scene. He ended up signing us to his label.”
"These are white kids that wear skinny [jeans]. When I met them, they didn't feel out of place," Mannie Fresh told. "[Sole Fresh] just like 'Hey, dude, this is what we do.' I feel you have to have courage these days anyway."
The pair said Mannie Fresh took them to his new studio in Houston, where they found they worked well together. The pair impressed Mannie and he signed them to his Chubby Boy Music imprint.
“[Our sound] is something different, its something new,” said Leonardo “Nardo” Jonze. “What he really liked was we were just doing ourselves. He liked that we weren’t trying to be anybody. He appreciated the originality in the music. That kind of sparked his interest. We went from there.”
“I caught an interview and he said our diversity kind of caught his eye. We have rap songs but we also have songs that are definitely rock influenced. Its just a whole variety of different things.”
The group call themselves a blend of their “Hip-Hop base” with pop and some rock influence.
Much of their base in the music game comes from Mannie Fresh, Nardo said.
“Mannie throws the stardust in there,” he explained. “I produced our single, ‘I Don’t Want To Grow Up,’ and he came in and touched it up. But he produced the majority of the album.”
Barely, college age, Nardo and Knoxx said they may one day seek to do more conscious songs, but for now, they simply enjoy making music.
“We just do us and have a lot of fun while doing it.”
Sole Fresh’s debut Peace, Love & Overweight Babies is due in June.
- Kid Cudi Warns Fans That "Man On The Moon 3" Will Be Nothing Like Previous Installments1,496 Views24 Comments
- Quiz: How Well Do You Know Kanye West?2,695 Views18 Comments
- Talib Kweli & 9th Wonder Reveal Tracklist & Cover Art For "Indie 500"1,838 Views15 Comments
- Snoop Dogg Hints At A Halloween Project Hosted By DJ Drama2,162 Views19 Comments
- Rick Ross Announces New Album Title9,369 Views55 Comments
- Kanye West Says People Who Act Like They Don't Like The Yeezy Boosts Are Racist4,828 Views0 Comments
- Rihanna Covers Vanity Fair; Talks Past Relationship With Chris Brown & More12,194 Views36 Comments
- Top Tracks: September 28 - October 418,597 Views30 Comments
- Bobby Shmurda Denied Bail Yet Again, Trial Set For 201633,272 Views152 Comments
- Will Smith Says He's Planning World Tour With DJ Jazzy Jeff 8,903 Views60 Comments
- 5 Things To Know About The Sauce Twinz21,567 Views183 Comments
- Kendrick Lamar Announces "Intimate" 8-City Tour24,445 Views190 Comments
- MissInfo Announces Her Departure From HOT 9711,185 Views33 Comments
- CC Sabathia Announces That He's Checking Into Rehab And Will Miss The Playoffs3,197 Views0 Comments