Former Cash Money super producer Mannie Fresh has opened a new chapter in his musical evolution with a new group called Sole Fresh.
The group, comprised of a pair of New Orleans teenagers, garnered Mannie’s attention as they found a following on the local music scene.
Knoxx St. Peter told AllHipHop.com, “We just created some buzz in the city. We were opening for Drake, Knuxx and Tyga and Mannie is like the kingpin of New Orleans, like the Hip-Hop scene. He ended up signing us to his label.”
"These are white kids that wear skinny [jeans]. When I met them, they didn't feel out of place," Mannie Fresh told. "[Sole Fresh] just like 'Hey, dude, this is what we do.' I feel you have to have courage these days anyway."
The pair said Mannie Fresh took them to his new studio in Houston, where they found they worked well together. The pair impressed Mannie and he signed them to his Chubby Boy Music imprint.
“[Our sound] is something different, its something new,” said Leonardo “Nardo” Jonze. “What he really liked was we were just doing ourselves. He liked that we weren’t trying to be anybody. He appreciated the originality in the music. That kind of sparked his interest. We went from there.”
“I caught an interview and he said our diversity kind of caught his eye. We have rap songs but we also have songs that are definitely rock influenced. Its just a whole variety of different things.”
The group call themselves a blend of their “Hip-Hop base” with pop and some rock influence.
Much of their base in the music game comes from Mannie Fresh, Nardo said.
“Mannie throws the stardust in there,” he explained. “I produced our single, ‘I Don’t Want To Grow Up,’ and he came in and touched it up. But he produced the majority of the album.”
Barely, college age, Nardo and Knoxx said they may one day seek to do more conscious songs, but for now, they simply enjoy making music.
“We just do us and have a lot of fun while doing it.”
Sole Fresh’s debut Peace, Love & Overweight Babies is due in June.
- 50 Cent On Jay Z: "There's No L On His Record"7,845 Views36 Comments
- Top Tracks: July 20- July 261,851 Views5 Comments
- Tyler The Creator Says He's Banned From Australia 5,927 Views42 Comments
- Hip Hop Reacts To The Death Of Bobbi Kristina Brown4,380 Views14 Comments
- 5 Dope Tracks From Episode 2 Of OVO Sound Radio15,758 Views20 Comments
- Danny Brown Weighs In On Meek Mill & Drake's Ghostwriting Controversy20,590 Views87 Comments
- Will Smith & Jay Z To Executive Produce HBO Mini-Series5,038 Views10 Comments
- Drake's OVO Air Jordans Rank As The Most Valuable Sneaker Of The Second Quarter3,024 Views0 Comments
- The 10 Best Diss Tracks Of The 2010s19,810 Views119 Comments
- Ice-T & Coco Are Expecting Their First Child Together4,698 Views21 Comments
- The Weeknd Speaks On "Beauty Behind The Madness" In NY Times Profile7,738 Views29 Comments
- Joe Jackson Has Reportedly Suffered A Stroke2,998 Views24 Comments
- Top-15 Nike Kobe X Elite Low iDs On Instagram1,216 Views0 Comments
- Stream Gunplay's Debut Album "Living Legend"4,381 Views19 Comments
- Styles P Opens Up About His Daughter's Suicide23,715 Views58 Comments