Former Cash Money super producer Mannie Fresh has opened a new chapter in his musical evolution with a new group called Sole Fresh.
The group, comprised of a pair of New Orleans teenagers, garnered Mannie’s attention as they found a following on the local music scene.
Knoxx St. Peter told AllHipHop.com, “We just created some buzz in the city. We were opening for Drake, Knuxx and Tyga and Mannie is like the kingpin of New Orleans, like the Hip-Hop scene. He ended up signing us to his label.”
"These are white kids that wear skinny [jeans]. When I met them, they didn't feel out of place," Mannie Fresh told. "[Sole Fresh] just like 'Hey, dude, this is what we do.' I feel you have to have courage these days anyway."
The pair said Mannie Fresh took them to his new studio in Houston, where they found they worked well together. The pair impressed Mannie and he signed them to his Chubby Boy Music imprint.
“[Our sound] is something different, its something new,” said Leonardo “Nardo” Jonze. “What he really liked was we were just doing ourselves. He liked that we weren’t trying to be anybody. He appreciated the originality in the music. That kind of sparked his interest. We went from there.”
“I caught an interview and he said our diversity kind of caught his eye. We have rap songs but we also have songs that are definitely rock influenced. Its just a whole variety of different things.”
The group call themselves a blend of their “Hip-Hop base” with pop and some rock influence.
Much of their base in the music game comes from Mannie Fresh, Nardo said.
“Mannie throws the stardust in there,” he explained. “I produced our single, ‘I Don’t Want To Grow Up,’ and he came in and touched it up. But he produced the majority of the album.”
Barely, college age, Nardo and Knoxx said they may one day seek to do more conscious songs, but for now, they simply enjoy making music.
“We just do us and have a lot of fun while doing it.”
Sole Fresh’s debut Peace, Love & Overweight Babies is due in June.
- Rick Ross Reveals "Black Dollar" Tracklist4,212 Views23 Comments
- 10 Times Rappers Were Banned From Countries1,427 Views8 Comments
- Judge Rules In Favor Of Tom Brady, Lifts 4-Game Suspension2,367 Views0 Comments
- A "Welcome To Death Row" Film Is Being Shopped Around6,993 Views33 Comments
- Janet Jackson Reveals "Unbreakable" Cover Art, Tracklist & Release Date2,646 Views19 Comments
- Migos Annnounce "Back To The Bando"5,040 Views19 Comments
- Gucci Mane To Release Autobiography "Within The Next Year"8,726 Views48 Comments
- The Weeknd To Perform At Apple Music Festival4,757 Views23 Comments
- Dwight Howard Won't Face Criminal Charges For Bringing A Handgun Into An Airport8,313 Views0 Comments
- 7 Hip-Hop Biopics We Want to See23,193 Views150 Comments
- Prominent Sneaker Reseller Claims He Makes $3 Million Per Year Selling Jordans4,448 Views0 Comments
- J Cole's "2014 Forest Hills Drive" Goes Platinum24,456 Views136 Comments
- Who Would Be In Kanye West's Presidential Cabinet?14,114 Views94 Comments
- Teyana Taylor is Pregnant With Iman Shumpert's Baby24,061 Views64 Comments
- Azealia Banks Disses Nicki Minaj & Miley Cyrus23,339 Views96 Comments