Former Cash Money super producer Mannie Fresh has opened a new chapter in his musical evolution with a new group called Sole Fresh.
The group, comprised of a pair of New Orleans teenagers, garnered Mannie’s attention as they found a following on the local music scene.
Knoxx St. Peter told AllHipHop.com, “We just created some buzz in the city. We were opening for Drake, Knuxx and Tyga and Mannie is like the kingpin of New Orleans, like the Hip-Hop scene. He ended up signing us to his label.”
"These are white kids that wear skinny [jeans]. When I met them, they didn't feel out of place," Mannie Fresh told. "[Sole Fresh] just like 'Hey, dude, this is what we do.' I feel you have to have courage these days anyway."
The pair said Mannie Fresh took them to his new studio in Houston, where they found they worked well together. The pair impressed Mannie and he signed them to his Chubby Boy Music imprint.
“[Our sound] is something different, its something new,” said Leonardo “Nardo” Jonze. “What he really liked was we were just doing ourselves. He liked that we weren’t trying to be anybody. He appreciated the originality in the music. That kind of sparked his interest. We went from there.”
“I caught an interview and he said our diversity kind of caught his eye. We have rap songs but we also have songs that are definitely rock influenced. Its just a whole variety of different things.”
The group call themselves a blend of their “Hip-Hop base” with pop and some rock influence.
Much of their base in the music game comes from Mannie Fresh, Nardo said.
“Mannie throws the stardust in there,” he explained. “I produced our single, ‘I Don’t Want To Grow Up,’ and he came in and touched it up. But he produced the majority of the album.”
Barely, college age, Nardo and Knoxx said they may one day seek to do more conscious songs, but for now, they simply enjoy making music.
“We just do us and have a lot of fun while doing it.”
Sole Fresh’s debut Peace, Love & Overweight Babies is due in June.
- Miguel Clarifies Frank Ocean Statement6,320 Views22 Comments
- The Game Says Dr. Dre Called "The Documentary 2" The Best Rap Album In 5 Years18,208 Views215 Comments
- The 10 Best Nina Simone Samples In Hip Hop3,419 Views3 Comments
- First Week Sales Numbers For Meek Mill's "Dreams Worth More Than Money"28,014 Views128 Comments
- Kidd Kidd Released From Jail6,328 Views26 Comments
- Diddy Reportedly Preparing "No Way Out 2" As His Final Album7,646 Views24 Comments
- Lil Wayne’s Best Pop Culture References In "FWA"15,123 Views126 Comments
- Nick Young Says Blake Griffin Is 'Too Beige' To Star In The Next Space Jam Movie3,468 Views0 Comments
- Meek Mill Calls Rick Ross Kidnapping Charges "Bullshit"13,644 Views27 Comments
- Nicki Minaj Was 2 Hours Late To Her Wireless Festival Set9,417 Views21 Comments
- Miguel Believes He Makes "Better Music" Than Frank Ocean12,936 Views111 Comments
- 5 NBA Stars Who Will Have New Homes Next Season4,150 Views0 Comments
- 50 Cent & Diddy's Effen Vs. Ciroc Battle Continues On Instagram22,277 Views74 Comments
- A$AP Rocky Shot A Short Film Starring Skepta & Novelist7,479 Views8 Comments
- Joe Budden Reveals "All Love Lost" Cover Art10,187 Views51 Comments