Canelo and Golovkin's fight ends in a draw.
Saturday night [September 17], Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin squared up for a highly-anticipated match on the tail of the frenzy surrounding the Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor matchup last month.
While Alavarez came into the ring with a record of 49-1-1 with 34 wins by knockout, Golovkin was painted as the favorite, coming in at 37-0 with 33 wins by knockout. Billed "Supremacy," this fight was dubbed a pure superfight as both men came in practically equally matched in skill and size as they duked it out for thetitle of champion.
Unfortunately, neither man got to lay cliam to victory by the night’s end as it came down to a split draw. Of the three judges, Dave Moretti scored it 115-113 for Golovkin, Adalaide Byrd scored it 118-110 in favor of Canelo, and Don Trella had it scored at 114-114. Naturally, the decision was met with backlash as the T-Mobile Arena erupted in boos.
All the while, Canelo Alvarez maintains that he won eight of the twelve rounds, and that he’d be up for a rematch. “Yes, of course, obviously yes, if the people want it, yes,” the Mexican fighter said via a translator. “He didn’t win. It was a draw. I always said I was going to be a step ahead of him.”
For Golovkin, all that matters is that he still holds on to his belt, noting that he is “still the champion.” “It’s not my fault, I put pressure on every round," he said. "Thanks to the people that support me."
As for social media, the general consensus was pretty clear, and it leaned in favor of Golovkin with many stepping onto Twitter to add on to the sentiment. Check out the platform's general reaction to the fight below.