Donald Trump re-ups his travel ban order.
Sunday the Trump administration rolled out new travel restrictions, amending its initial ban, controversially signed into action earlier this year. These new restrictions will now apply to foreigners from Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezela, and Yemen with restrictions varying by country and the implementation of a 'phased-in' approach.
"Making America Safe is my number one priority,” President Trump tweeted Sunday evening. “We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet," President Donald Trump tweeted just after his administration released the details of the restrictions Sunday night.
Making America Safe is my number one priority. We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet.https://t.co/KJ886okyfC— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 24, 2017
The new ban will officially take place on October 18. Until then, individuals with certain permitted exceptions (i.e. the foreign grandparent of a US citizen) can still apply for visas of entry.
"We cannot afford to continue the failed policies of the past, which present an unacceptable danger to our country," Trump said in a statement issued by the White House. "My highest obligation is to ensure the safety and security of the American people, and in issuing this new travel order, I am fulfilling that sacred obligation."
Previously, the ban enacted in January policed entry from the nations of Iran, Syria, Lybia, Somalia, Yemen, and Sudan. Now, this list adds three new countries, two of which are not a majority Muslim country: Venezuela and North Korea. According to Trump administration employees, this move was made in an effort to ensure critics that the travel ban is not discriminatory of Muslims. Restrictions will differ between nations with all foreign nationals from North Korea being banned while a student from Iran may by allowed in upon the fulfillment of “enhanced screening and vetting requirements.”
“The State Department will coordinate with other federal agencies to implement these measures in an orderly manner," said Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in a statement. "We will continue to work closely with our allies and partners who share our commitment to national and global security."
The Supreme Court has already scheduled hearing on the legality of the ban for October 10th.