Sunday, NBC announced its intent to renew its drama series This Is Us for three additional seasons, taking the show at least through its sixth season that will wrap in 2022.

It was Dan Fogleman, the series creator, who took to Twitter to reveal the news. “Three years ago, we were live-tweeting the premiere of our TV show, hoping someone, anyone might watch," Fogelman wrote.

Sharing a photo of the show's stars, Fogelman added: "Today our friends at @nbc picked up #ThisIsUs for THREE more seasons, bringing us to six.”

"In a television landscape with nearly 500 original scripted series, there are very few, if any, that have the critical and cultural impact of This Is Us and we couldn’t be more proud to bring fans three more seasons of a show that so well represents the NBC brand,” said Lisa Katz and Tracey Pakosta, Presidents of Scripted Programming for NBC Entertainment, in a statement.

While fans can be excited that the successful show will continue on, it also cues a move toward the end of the show with Fogelman previously discussing his anticipation of the series' finale. 

"We’re roughly in the middle of where the television series is going to go,” Fogelman told the Hollywood Reporter  “We never set out to make a television series that was going to last 18 seasons, and so we have a very direct plan. I have script pages I have written and I’m writing that really are deep, deep, deep into the future. We have a plan for what we’re going to do and I know what the plan is.”