De La Hoya says he'd come out of retirement for McGregor fight.
Retired boxer Oscar De La Hoya has apparently been training in hopes of a comeback, nearly ten years after he last fought. De La Hoya recently opened up about his desire to get back in the ring during the digital radio show, "Golden Boy Radio with Tattoo and the Crew," and he has his sights set on UFC poster boy Conor McGregor.
Prior to McGregor's boxing match against Floyd Mayweather, De La Hoya denounced the fight as a "money grab" that could tarnish the sport of boxing forever. On Monday's episode of "Golden Boy Radio with Tattoo and the Crew," De La Hoya claimed that he's faster and stronger than ever, and would only need two rounds to dispose of McGregor in the boxing ring.
"You know I'm competitive," De La Hoya said (H/T ESPN). "I still have it in me. I've been secretly training, secretly training. I'm faster than ever and stronger than ever. I know I can take out Conor McGregor in two rounds. I'll come back for that fight. Two rounds. Just one more [fight]. I'm calling him out. Two rounds, that's all I need. That's all I'm going to say. You heard it on Golden Boy Radio. Two rounds, that's all I need."
"Let's get it straight: In the cage, he would freaking destroy me. He would freaking destroy me. Only in the ring," De La Hoya said.
"I've been working out for the last five months. [My confidence] is how I feel now from my training. I don't know what it is, but I'll tell you now that I've never felt so good before in my life."
De La Hoya, a former Olympic gold medal winner and 10x champion, has not fought since being knocked out in the eighth-round by Manny Pacquiao on December 6, 2008. The 44-year old boxer previously considered coming out of retirement in 2015.
McGregor, who made his boxing debut back in August against Floyd Mayweather, has been in talks with the UFC to fight at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on December 30th, though it remains to be seen if they'll be able to negotiate a deal. After getting a taste of that boxing money, McGregor said he would keep his options open moving forward regarding whether he fights in the octagon or a boxing ring.
Oscar De La Hoya says he's been secretly training and would be ready to take on Conor McGregor in the ring. pic.twitter.com/4rLKZNvvCW— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) November 14, 2017