A weekly glance at the performance of r'n'b and hip-hop albums on the Billboard charts.
This week belongs to Tyler, The Creator and Meek Mill, who snag the respective #2 and #3 spots on the Billboard 200 this week with their new albums, ultimately both rappers lose out on that #1 debut to Lana Del Rey. Kendrick's DAMN. doesn't fall too far behind at #4, while JAY-Z's latest opus slides back from the top spot into #7 over the past seven days. DJ Khaled joins them in the top 10, while 21 Savage, NAV & Metro Boomin, French Montana, Khalid, and Drake hold down spots in the top 20. Check out the breakdown below.
1) Tyler, The Creator — Flower Boy: Tyler, The Creator, who previously expressed his concern and his desire for a #1 debut, ended up kicking off newest release Flower Boy at #2. The 14-track LP features BFFLs Frank Ocean and A$AP Rocky, the latter on the stand-out "Who Dat Boy." With 100,641 TAEU and 70,087 sales, it's not a bad first week for the Odd Future mogul.
2) Meek Mill — Wins & Losses: Meel Mill's new album is aptly titled Wins & Losses, a fitting title for an artist who has had his fair shares of ups and downs over the past few years. With the new album debuting at #3, we'll count this one as a win, with 98,594 TAEU and 37,309 sales on the scoreboard.
3) Kendrick Lamar — DAMN.: Kendrick Lamar's DAMN. falls from #2 to #4 this week. He is currently on the road with Travis Scott and D.R.A.M., selling out arenas around the country. He continues to be a dominating force on the charts as well, with 49,015 TAEU and 13,330 sales this time around.
4) JAY-Z — 4:44: JAY-Z falls from #1 down to #7 as his newest LP 4:44 evidently loses a little bit of steam. With 45,200 TAEU and 29,099 sales this past week, it's still doing quite well though.
5) DJ Khaled — Grateful: Khaled's new album is packed with special guests like Rihanna, Beyonce, JAY-Z, Drake, etc. It's been out for five weeks, and has only fallen back to the #9 spot so far, putting up 36,902 TAEU and 4,070 sales during this week.
6) 21 Savage — Issa Album: 21 Savage's Issa Album comes in at #12, dropping down from #5 the week prior. The record puts 33,207 TAEU and 4,186 sales up this time around, which is just the third week since release.
7) NAV & Metro Boomin — Perfect Timing: The new joint effort from NAV and Metro Boomin debuts at #13. Perfect Timing counts 30,072 TAEU and 5,442 sales as the Canadian artist continues to garner popularity, certainly only benefiting from this high profile producer collaboration.
8) Khalid — American Teen: Khalid, the 19-year old Texas sensation, comes in at #18 this week with his debut American Teen. The album has bee killing it for 21 weeks now, and even found itself back in the top 10 last week. This time around, the album puts 25,837 TAEU and 2,972 sales on the boards.
9)French Montana — Jungle Rules: After debuting at #3 last week, French Montana has fallen back to #19 with Jungle Rules, his second studio album. The LP clocks 26,952 TAEU and 4,745 sales as it slides back 13 spots..
10) Drake — More Life: Drizzy's More Life is at #21 this week, making it a 10-spot drop from #11 last week. The Toronto star clocks 25,230 TAEU and 883 sales with help from the Travis Scott, Young Thug, and Skepta features that add some flavor to his latest release.
The Hot 100's top four spots are the same this week: "Despacito" at #1, while DJ Khaled's "Wild Thoughts" follows suit at #2, followed itself by Bruno Mars' "That's What I Like," who is sided between another DJ Khaled song -- "I'm the One." Imagine Dragons oust French Montana for the #5 spot, leaving "Unforgettable" at #6. Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Lil Uzi Vert, and Future all hold down top 20 territory with their respective hits, while Meek Mill has six songs debut in the Hot 100, peppering the charts from #77 all the way down to #99.