King Kendrick scores the highest first-week sales total of 2017.
This week undoubtedly belongs to Kendrick Lamar, who just dropped one hell of an album. DAMN. has garnered praise across the board, with nary a whisper from the haters. Not only does he snag the #1 spot on the Billboard 200, but every song from DAMN. is on the Hot 100, and its success has boosted good kid, m.A.A.d city to #27, To Pimp a Butterfly to #50, and Section.80 to #179.
Elsewhere you'll see debuts from Playboi Carti at #12 with his new self-titled LP, Rich Homie Quan at #84 with Back to the Basics, Moneybagg Yo & Yo Gotti's 2 Federal at #97, and Talib Kweli & Styles P's The Seven EP at #195.
1) Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.: Unsurprisingly, Kendrick's DAMN. snags the #1 spot. The album features Rihanna and U2, with heavy-hitting production from Sounwave, Mike Will, BADBADNOTGOOD, Terrace Martin, and many others. With 603,322 TAEU (total album equivalent units) and 352,766 units sold, this is the strongest debut of any album of 2017.
2) Drake – More Life: The previous strongest debut of 2017 has slipped to #3. Drake's More Life playlist debuted at #1 before getting bumped by The Chainsmokers last week, and now moves 87,394 TAEU and 9,542 sales as it nestles in the middle of the top 5. Drake's VIEWS is at #21 this week, getting a bit of a boost from the More Life release.
3) Bruno Mars - 24K Magic: After 22 weeks on the charts, Bruno Mars is still hanging out in the top 10 with 24K Magic, his super successful full-length release from November 2016. Despite never reaching #1, the album comes in at #7 this week as it continues to thrive.
4) Future - Future: The favorite of Future's two 2017 full-length releases is the self-titled affair. With "Mask Off" leading the pack of dark, ATL bangers, the album comes in at #8 this week.
5) Migos - Culture: Up to #11 from #12 is Migos' Culture. Perhaps benefitting from the press machine that is Coachella, the ATLiens get a boost on their sophomore full-length which features "Bad and Boujee" and "T-Shirt."
6) Playboi Carti – Playboi Carti: Debuting at #12 with his self-titled debut full-length is Playboi Carti. The Atlanta 20-year-old puts up 31,690 TAEU and 6,793 pure sales during his first week on the charts. Big up Playboi!
7) Kodak Black — Painting Pictures: Dropping out of the top 10 from #8 to #13 is Kodak Black's Painting Pictures. His debut full-length tallies 30,908 TAEU and 1,647 sales during its third week on the charts.
8) The Weeknd - Starboy: The Weeknd is at #14 this week with Starboy, his most recent full-length record. The album slips just one spot since last week, and despite celebrating its 21st week on the charts, it continues to do quite well.
9) Post Malone — Stoney: Post Malone's debut full-length has been doing quite well, appearing at #15 this week with 28,300 TAEU and 2,022 sales to its name. It's at the same spot as last week, showcasing its solid reception.
10) Big Sean — I Decided.: After debuting at #1, Big Sean's I Decided. is hanging on to top 20 real estate by a thread. This week the Detroit native pulls 21,112 TAEU and 3,585 sales.
All 14 songs from DAMN. are the Hot 100, including the #1 song in America in "Humble." "DNA." comes in at #4, with the rest of the LP's songs peppering the chart until "Duckworth." appears at #64. Future's "Mask Off" is enjoying a good climb towards the top, coming in at #5 this week. Lil Uzi Vert's "XO TOUR Llif3" is at #10, a couple spots below the #8 spot it was in last week. Drake's "Passionfruit," The Weeknd's "I Feel It Coming," and Migos' "Bad and Boujee" all suffer minor drops, due in part to the four new Kendrick songs in the top 20.
Aside from Kendrick's domination, G-Eazy and Kehlani land at #76 in "Good Life," Lil Yachty and Migos rise to #78 with "Peek A Boo," and Logic debuts "Black Spiderman" at #87.