About The Weeknd
The Weeknd is an R&B voice for a younger, debauched generation, forgoing traditional love ballads for intoxicated reflections on the effects of directionless hedonism.
Since gaining attention after uploading several tracks to YouTube in 2010, the Toronto native has released three mixtapes, a compilation and an album, collaborating with the likes of Juicy J, Wiz Khalifa, Ricky Hil, French Motana, Kavinsky, Lil Wayne, M.I.A., Jr. Hil, Sia, Diplo and more.
Most recently, he reunited with Drake, released his new album Kiss Land and toured in support of it, offering signature album-themed condoms at his gigs. He’ll be touring with Justin Timberlake and Drake throughout 2014, on the "20/20 Experience" and "Would You Like A" tours, respectively. Oh yeah, he also operates his own independent label, "XO".
- The Weeknd's first live performance was at Toronto's Mod Club.
- He speaks fluent Amharic, which he learned from his grandmother at an early age.
- His moniker is intentionally misspelled as a means of avoiding copyright issues with existing Canadian band The Weekend.
- The Weeknd sings in a falsetto register.
- He draws musical inspiration from post-punk, indie rock, funk, soul, quiet storm and hip-hop.
- The Weeknd is an Aquarius.
- His 2012 "Trilogy" compilation has been certified Gold.
- 2012's "Wicked Games" was his first Top 20 R&B single.
- He dated a certain Alice Ustinova for a time.
- The Weeknd is of Ethiopian descent.
- Trilogy (Compilation)2010
- Kiss Land2013