For those unfamiliar, Locksmith is an accomplished emcee and retired battle rapper from Richmond, California, also one half of rap duo The Frontline alongside Left. Other than his battle rapping history, he's perhaps best known for his debut solo single, 2009's "Rare Form", on which he fired shots at Kanye West and Lil Wayne.
Throughout his career, he's released multiple projects, both solo and collaborative, having worked with Ski Beatz, Khrysis, BrandUn DeShay, Ka$h, Jarell Perry, Matt Cody, Drew Byrd, Mike TopNoch, Eric G, 9th Wonder, Big Remo, Olamide Faison, Anesha, R.A. The Rugged Man and more.
Most recently, he released a new project titled THE GREEN BOX in May 2013, which was a direct reflection of the toxic environment he grew up in. He's currently working on a new album titled A THOUSAND CUTS, which is slated to drop in 2014. Stay tuned for updates, folks.
(For more information, hit up iamlock.com.)
- Locksmith is of African and Iranian descent.
- Locksmith has battled such artists as Reignman, Jonny Storm, Dizaster, Passwurdz and Daylyt.
- He graduated from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Locksmith made it to the final round of MTV's Freestyle Battle Championship in 2003.
- He recorded two albums with Left as The Frontline: 2005's Who R You / Now U Know and 2007's Lock & Left.
- EA-Ski is his go-to producer and mentor.
- The Green Box2013
- I Am Lock2011
- Frank The Rabbit2009
- The Rare Form EP2009