Drake loves to play tastemaker, especially when he's broadcasting the up and coming sounds of his hometown for all of the hip hop world to hear. Social media and now OVO Sound radio are his primary platforms for spotlighting promising Toronto artists.
Sad news today from Toronto. Mississauga rapper Redway has been reported dead after a single-vehicle car crash occurred near the city's Pearson International Airport this morning.
Although Norm Kelly advised against it, Meek Mill headed to the Six last night for a stop on "The Pinkprint" tour with Nicki Minaj.
Last night we had a bit unexpected excitement, when Meek Mill went off on our twitter timelines, dissing Drake in the process. As for what triggered the rant in the first place, it seems like Meek feels as though he's not getting the respect he deserves.
In the past, we've known Toronto's Jimmy Prime as Jimmy Johnson, a prmising young talent from the 6 who's put in work with Eric Dingus, Danny Seth and many more. Today, he announces a name change and shares a new seven track project called Block Boy.
Toronto mayor John Tory may be a little more competent than the infamous Rob Ford, but he still has his moments.
Toronto citizens have been pretty apathetic about their city hosting the Pan Am Games over the last week, but a new announcement could get people a little more interested.
During the making of Drake's If You're Reading This It's Too Late (which just surpassed J. Cole's 2014 Forest Hills Drive in sales, by the way), his friend Travis Savoury was locked up on human trafficking charges.
Honey Cocaine quietly unveiled her new project, The Gift Rap last week, putting the 5-song set up on iTunes as well as a SoundCloud stream.
In 2014, the Canadian government awarded Drake's OVO Fest $300,000, but, this year, it looks like funding for the Toronto festival will have to come out of OVO's pockets.
Drake Distances Himself & OVO From "Homecoming" Film [Update: Drake Now Being Sued] Mar 18, 2015 at 09:49pm
Recently, news has been circulating of a Drake film called "Homecoming: The Lost Footage." A trailer surfaced for the film, which consists of footage from a 2009 concert at Toronto's Sound Academy, documenting a pre-Young Money Drizzy.
Drake's been running his city for some time, and with that comes the responsibility of putting on an annual festival with some of the hottest rappers in the game, Drake included.
Drake broke the Internet two nights ago by unexpectedly releasing his brand new mixtape If You're Reading This It's Too Late. It looks like Drake did the cover art himself, writing out the mixtape title in all caps above the signature 6-God prayer hands.
Leave it to KanyeToThe to unearth yet another nugget of information about one of the planets biggest rappers.
We all know how Drake likes to put on for his hometown of Toronto, Canada, especially when it comes to getting ink'd up.
Drake's OVO imprint has become a brand in and of itself, as most crew/labels are warrant to do these days. OVO has done several capsule collections in the past, most recently, OVO teamed up with Capcom for a street fighter inspired line of clothing.
OVO Sound started off as the baby of Drake, Noah '40' Shebib and Oliver El-Khatib. The crew is steadily growing as the label continues to sign new talent. Those bleeding OVO blood each have an important role to play in their success.
We stumbled across Roy Wood$ innocently enough, during a daily peruse of Soundcloud. After being impressed with his "I Got" record, which melds the lines of r'n'b and rap, we skimmed through the rest of his Soundcloud, albeit, it's not too full just yet.
Drake Announces OVO Pop-Up Shop In Toronto, Opening Tomorrow [Update: Collection Revealed] Jul 31, 2014 at 11:58pm
Drake's annual OVO Fest begins this Sunday, August 3rd, in Toronto, and if last year offers any clues, it'll be a very star-studded event. In addition to performances from hip-hop's greatest, attendees will also be treated to an OVO pop-shop.
Justin Bieber Turns Himself In On Toronto Assault Charge & Update On Miami Beach Arrest Jan 30, 2014 at 12:27pm
The Justin Bieber saga continues. This guy. The latest piece of news concerning the young Canadian pop star, who Americans no longer want to house in the U.S., is an update on his recent Miami Beach arrest and another unrelated charge from Toronto.
- MTV VMAs: Top Hip-Hop Moments1,715 Views9 Comments
- Police Sketch Bears Strange Resemblance To T.I., According To Twitter11,052 Views28 Comments
- Charts Don't Lie: August 295,031 Views53 Comments
- Jay Z Caved And Got An Instagram Account20,211 Views53 Comments
- J Cole Brings Out Jay-Z, Big Sean, & Drake In Fayetteville45,759 Views56 Comments
- Kanye West To Perform "808s & Heartbreak" In Its Entirety In LA14,376 Views28 Comments
- 28 Grams: Hip Hop Instagram Recap (August 22-28)5,016 Views23 Comments
- Drake's Team Says Apple Didn't Interfere With Lil Weezyana Stream, Calls It A "Publicity Stunt"26,317 Views118 Comments
- Stream Two-9's New EP, "#AugustTwo9"5,170 Views12 Comments
- Lil Wayne Brought Out Drake, Curren$y, Master P & More At Lil Weezyana Fest37,560 Views36 Comments
- Jeezy Has Something New Coming In Two Days16,495 Views56 Comments
- Apple Blocked Tidal From Streaming Drake's Performance At Lil Weezyana Fest20,804 Views65 Comments
- Stream Lil Wayne's "Lil Weezyana Fest" On Tidal20,724 Views49 Comments
- Shy Glizzy & Zaytoven Announce New Mixtape "For Trappers Only"9,499 Views29 Comments
- First Week Sales Projections For The Weeknd's "Beauty Behind The Madness"32,135 Views88 Comments