Jay Z is being sued over a sample from his 2000 hit single, "Big Pimpin'," and while he couldn't stop the case from going to court he is trying to keep things as controlled as he can.
We are in the midst of a mini-Nina Simone revival.
On May 26, 1926, Miles Davis was born in small-town Illinois. He would go on to change the course of music with a nearly 50-year career centered in jazz.
One of the most interesting moments on Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly comes in the lengthy closer, "Mortal Man," when he simulates a conversation with Tupac by sampling a rare interview with the West Coast legend.
Kendrick Lamar Speaks On New Single "i" [Update: Full Interview With Power 106 Added] Sep 24, 2014 at 09:54am
Kendrick Lamar made sure we started off our day on a positive note, with the release of his new single "i." We say positive note, because even though the song may not be what you were expecting, there's no denying that it contains an inspirational message.
Nicki Minaj's new The Pink Print single "Anaconda" was originally supposed to be released on July 28th, but following the artwork hype the rapper announced a pushback, saying that it would arrive on iTunes on August 4th.
When sampling, producers usually try to find obscure and/or rare source material to draw from, both because they don't want listeners to associate their final product with a song they already know, and because they'd likely to avoid copyright issues.
Kanye West's "Bound 2" was definitely one of the more well-received tracks off Yeezus, thus Ye has gone ahead to push it as his next single. However, it looks like the track is facing some legal trouble, as a former child star is suing Yeezy over a sample.
Eminem took things back to basics on his new LP. The Detroit rapper recruited one of Hip Hop's pioneers, Rick Rubin, to help him channel some classic sounds and ideas, many of which came through sampling.
OLD is Detroit emcee Danny Brown's third studio project, released on October 8th via Fool's Gold Records. The audience rating on our review of the album stands at 85%, and we feel it's one of the better offerings of 2013, both sonically and lyrically.
The songwriting process in rap can sometimes be hard to follow. With the use of sampling, and the genre's increasingly collaborative production methods, breaking down the construction of songs can become convoluted.
We know that The Weeknd is not considered hip hop, but you can't escape Kiss Land as a great production piece. The Weeknd is known to be one of the new faces of R&B and Drake's go-to guy for an R&B feature.
Big Sean's G.O.O.D. Music album Hall Of Fame has been out long enough at this point for us all to properly digest it.
Coming up with the right supporting beats and melody in a hip-hop track can be extremely challenging. Not to mention the time and effort it takes to make an original beat.
T.I. dropped "Memories Back Then" earlier this year, but has now revealed that it originally contained a sample from last years smash hit "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye.
In the past months there have been several lawsuits against hip hop artists for illegally using samples, and now Cash Money Records – no stranger to lawsuits themselves – are under fire from a 1970s group who claims the label
- Man Shot & Killed Outside Of Lil Durk Concert In Philadelphia3,157 Views45 Comments
- Kanye West Sends Taylor Swift Flowers10,341 Views59 Comments
- Mac Miller Unveils "GO:OD AM" Alarm Clock App With Exclusive New Music9,518 Views24 Comments
- Quiz: Hip-Hop History3,839 Views19 Comments
- The Weeknd's "Beauty Behind The Madness" First Week Sales Are In43,873 Views152 Comments
- Ty Dolla $ign Is Launching The Pre-Order For "Free T.C." Next Week5,195 Views15 Comments
- Ranking The Features On Travi$ Scott's "Rodeo"27,717 Views104 Comments
- John Wall Reportedly Paid $20,000 For A Graffiti Portrait Of Himself2,516 Views0 Comments
- Stream Scarface's New Album, "Deeply Rooted"4,739 Views19 Comments
- Staff Picks (September 4)1,916 Views6 Comments
- The 7 Best Air Jordans To Have In Your Collection For Labor Day Weekend1,627 Views0 Comments
- Kevin Gates Announces New Album "Islah" 8,597 Views62 Comments
- Stream K Camp's Debut Album "Only Way Is Up"6,114 Views20 Comments
- Mac Miller Says Rumored "GO:OD AM" Tracklist Is Fake8,665 Views25 Comments
- What’s New In Battle Rap (September 4)3,431 Views6 Comments