This week proved to be a big one for hip-hop music, with Joey Bada$$ and Lupe Fiasco dropping their respective albums on the same day (January 20th), not to mention, free projects from Trinidad James, Lil Wayne, Yo Gotti and K Camp.
While Taylor Swift remains the reigning queen of the Billboard 200, we get a few new entries from the hip-hop sphere this week. Rae Sremmurd, as projected, landed a top 10 Billboard 200 debut with SremmLife.
Rae Sremmurd Projected To Land Billboard Top 10 Debut With "SremmLife" [Update: First Week Sales Are In] Jan 13, 2015 at 10:11pm
Rae Sremmurd have already received enough co-signs to make any new artist happy (among them, Kendrick Lamar and Chance The Rapper), however, there's even more good news coming their way as Billboard projects that they will land within the top 10 next week.
This week's chart contenders prove to be rather boring, because not much has happened in the past week when it comes to rap, hip-hop and r'n'b charters. We've got Nicki Minaj doing what she does at her #2 spot, which she refuses to leave, we've got J.
This week we see a few fluctuations within Charts Don't Lie, however Nicki Minaj keeps the #2 spot on lock with The Pinkprint. It's not a bad resting place per say, although we're sure #1 would have felt that much better.
First Week Sales For Fabolous' "The Young OG Project" [Update: Final Numbers Arrive From Billboard] Dec 31, 2014 at 11:32am
Fabolous has sort of made a tradition out of dropping projects on Christmas day, and this year was no different with his new album The Young OG Project hitting iTunes on December 25th.
Last week, the two biggest albums to be released in the hip-hop/R&B sphere came from NYC-based '90s heavyweights. First off, Mary J.
This is a pretty eventful Charts Don't Lie, as we were not only anticipating first week sales for the likes of Eminem, Rick Ross, Beyonce and Iggy Azalea, but we're now seeing the streaming initiative from Billboard in full effect.
This week on the charts proves to be rather uneventful, as there are no new entries to speak of, although G-Eazy was able to re-enter with These Things Happen. Cadillactica, on the other hand, experienced a steep drop from its top 5 debut.
While Taylor Swift's 1989 takeover of the charts continues, many of our r'n'b and hip-hop artists have been pushed down. Teyana Taylor actually finds herself the highest-up, debuting at #19, with her G.O.O.D. album VII.
Big K.R.I.T.'s new album Cadillactica hit shelves on November 10th, and three days removed from the album's release we have the expected first week sales for the album.
This week the race between T.I. and Logic for the top spot on the Billboard 200 comes to a close. Many fans have been anticipating the competition between the OG and the newcomer, and the final tally finds Tip coming out ahead by less than 10,000 copies.
This week we're finding several new entries in the Billboard 200, although nothing took over the #1 spot. Keyshia Cole actually comes out on top this week, debuting at #9, moving 25,000 copies opening week.
Many of 2014's biggest hits seem to tangentially related to hip-hop -- not quite full-blown RAP music -- but definitely in the same neighborhood.
This week we only have one new entry so to speak of, and it's r'n'b/pop singer Jennifer Hudson with her newly-released JHUD. The album didn't do very much damage on the charts, but it still enters within the Billboard's top 10.
Lecrae is on the way to becoming a household name, which is a feat for a rapper, let alone a Christian rapper. The rapper made an impressive debut this past week, with Anomaly topping the Billboard 200 and selling just under 100k, with 88,000.
- A3C Highlights: Travi$ Scott, DeJ Loaf, Wiz Khalifa & More755 Views2 Comments
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About DJ Khaled4,470 Views22 Comments
- T.I. Apologizes For Saying He'd Never Vote For A Woman President2,658 Views35 Comments
- Skeme Shares "Ingleworld 3" Tracklist, Artwork & Release Date1,722 Views10 Comments
- Here Are The Nominations For the 43rd Annual American Music Awards1,880 Views31 Comments
- Brother Ali, Atmosphere To Headline Rhymesayers 20th Anniversary Concert724 Views8 Comments
- Wale & Sway Cover RESPECT Magazine1,877 Views11 Comments
- Quiz: Can You Guess Who This Jewelry Belongs To?3,623 Views25 Comments
- Klay Thompson's Model Girlfriend Calls Him Out On Twitter For Sleeping With Groupies9,146 Views0 Comments
- T.I. On Travi$ Scott: "That Man Is Iggy In A Black Man's Body"15,324 Views107 Comments
- Big K.R.I.T. Says New Project Coming "Very Soon"3,739 Views43 Comments
- Listen To Young Dolph's "Shittin On The Industry" Mixtape6,873 Views21 Comments
- John Legend & Chrissy Teigen Expecting First Child Together3,715 Views37 Comments
- Tracklist Revealed For DJ Khaled’s “I Changed A Lot” Album28,312 Views119 Comments
You may also like...
- Run The Jewels "Get It" Video176 Views