It was yet another unpredictable week on the charts, with Meek Mill being dethroned by none other than -- Tyrese? That's right, the veteran R&B star turnt Furious 7 actor has landed his very first number one with his sixth studio album.
Future's hype seems to be at an all-time high, but while the initial first week sales projections for his new album, DS2, eclipsed those of his previous two albums, the number didn't seem to match the buzz.
Vince Staples' debut album, Summertime '06, was definitely a strong piece of work from the Long Beach native, and received mostly rave reviews, including from us. However did that translate into sales for the young Def Jam signee?
Meek Mill's sophomore album, Dreams Worth More Than Money surprised everyone when it was projected to move upwards of 200,000 copies its first week, and it's now clear that the estimation was accurate, as the final count has arrived.Hits Daily Double reports&n
With the iTunes store only opening in 2003, the digital music industry is still pretty young, but it's far from devoid of competition, commerce and platinum-selling artists. The most successful of these, it turns out, is none other than Rihanna.
While next week should be more exciting, the last round of rap sales were pretty lacklustre. With ASAP Rocky's album dropping to number 12, it's the first week in some time with no hip hop or R&B in the top ten.
This week saw a range of debuts from a range of artists. The top entry within rap and R&B went to Jason Derulo who slid in at number four, just under Rocky who managed to have another strong week.
Yesterday we saw Lil Durk and Dom Kennedy's first week sales for Remember My Name and By Dom Kennedy respectively.
After a few uneventful weeks on the charts, ASAP Rocky and Boosie Badazz brought some much-needed excitement with their strong debuts. Each a respective triumph, Rocky took the number one spot, while Boosie moved in comfortably at number 3.
It was assumed that Donnie Trumpet and The Social Experiment's experimental opus, SURF, would be a free release, but when the LP appeared on iTunes as a complimentary download, it definitely came as a surprise to fans.
This week saw the debut of Snoop Dogg's Pharrell-helmed funk opus, which had a pretty modest opening, placing at number 14. While Tech N9ne blew us away with his top 5 debut last week, he fell considerably this cycle, moving all the way down to number 20.
Snoop Dogg's new album is yet another reinvention for the versatile Doggfather, and while the singles he's released are pretty radio-ready, the first week sales are set to be fairly low.
This wasn't a very exciting week for rap on the charts. Over the last couple cycles we've seen the same albums slowly descending, with Drake being the only record to have a second wind in recent weeks.
Ciara's got a modest hit on her hands with the Future-skewering ballad, "I Bet," but unfortunately it won't be enough to translate to an impressive sales week.
This week marks the end of an era, with Wiz Khalifa's "See You Again" unseating the seemingly invincible "Uptown Funk". The success of Khalifa's record was seen in album sales as well with Furious 7 moving up to the top spot on the Billboard 200.
This week is an exciting not only due to a lot of movement in the chart, but the fact that four rap albums take up the top spots on the Billboard 200.
While there were a couple of debuts this week, the top 2 albums were not able to be unseated. Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly is still sitting comfortably atop the charts, while the Empire soundtrack trails not-so-far behind.
The biggest story from last week's charts is far-and-away Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly, which hit iTunes a week earlier than expected, which seems to have benefitted the LP, despite a rocky start to the release.
This week we’re seeing a new entry with G-Unit’s The Beast Is G-Unit EP hitting the charts. Although it moved under 20k opening week, we doubt the Unit is too upset.
- VH1 Announces Premiere Date For The Game's Dating Show "She's Got Game"100 Views3 Comments
- Mariah Carey To Get Her Own Star On Hollywood Walk Of Fame921 Views16 Comments
- Shy Glizzy Arrested In Maryland5,897 Views9 Comments
- David Banner Sues Young Money Over Alleged Unpaid Royalties4,938 Views25 Comments
- Fetty Wap The First Male Rapper To Have Two Top 10 Singles Since Lil Wayne16,911 Views114 Comments
- Damian Lillard Releases New Song Using Classic Jadakiss Beat1,444 Views0 Comments
- Chance The Rapper Announces "Family Matters" Tour3,512 Views6 Comments
- Chance The Rapper Says Kanye West Almost Narrated "Surf"4,794 Views15 Comments
- 7 Times Rappers Trolled The World11,192 Views18 Comments
- Young Thug Waives His Preliminary Hearing In Terroristic Threats Case7,619 Views23 Comments
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Cover Complex3,230 Views42 Comments
- Ebro Speaks On Funk Flex Fiasco, Responds To Power 105.121,437 Views45 Comments
- Charlamagne Tha God Gives Funkmaster Flex "Donkey Of The Day"30,292 Views58 Comments
- Mac Miller's Journey To Finish His 3rd Studio Album10,499 Views41 Comments
- All Black Adidas Yeezy 350 Boost Scheduled To Release In August2,470 Views0 Comments
You may also like...
- The Weeknd "Can't Feel My Face" Video18,427 Views