As an actor, Common has definitely been in some major mainstream flicks and get his due recognition for it. As a rapper, Common borders on the underground/conscious scene, although he's not fully immersed in it because he does do double duty acting.
This week we see Trey Songz maintain a spot within the Billboard 200's top 10, although he fell from the grace of #1. We're also seeing just how quickly Robin Thicke's Paula is going to fall off, as it already finds itself nearing the edge of the top 50.
This week Trey Songz's Trigga makes its debut on the Billboard 200 at #1, giving Trey his second #1 album in a row, following up Chapter V. Although Chapter V sold more records in its opening week (135k), Trigga came close under it with 105k.
Robin Thicke's New Album "Paula" Sold 530 Copies In UK [Update: 54 Copies Sold In Australia] Jul 11, 2014 at 10:18am
By now you're probably aware that Robin Thicke's Paula hasn't turned out to be quite as impressive as 2013's Blurred Lines, in terms of both album sales and reviews, but over in the UK, it failed even more miserably.
Last week we saw r'n'b/pop take over the Billboard 200, and this week we finally see the return of rap to some of the top spots within the Billboard 200. Impressively, G-Eazy's third studio album comes in highest this week nabbing the #3 spot.
According to Billboard.com, Nielsen SoundScan’s R&B/Hip Hop charts reports that album sales for R&B/Hip Hop are down 19 percent from this time last year. In 2013, 23.7 million albums were sold as opposed to this year’s 19.13 million.
50 Cent entered the Billboard 200 this week, with Animal Ambition moving more than the projected amount, although it's still not the numbers Fif used to do. It's independent numbers though, with a showing of 47,000 units.
This week our one new entry belongs to Mariah Carey, who recently released her umpteeth album, Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse. While the sales show she doesn't quite have that star power she once did, it's still a respectable debut of #3.
Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" is about to begin a summer takeover, if the Billboard charts are any indication. The rapper's lead single from The New Classic reached new heights this week, as it obtained the #1 spot on the Hot 100, making it Iggy's first #1 single.
Mariah Carey is among the best-selling artists of all-time, but her newest album will not likely push her any further up the list. The album, which sports a mouthful of a title, Me.
Iggy Azalea had a hard time finding a single to connect with audiences. The rapper experienced many delays of her debut album The New Classic, and much of that can probably be attributed to her singles' underwhelming performances.
This week the hip-hop underground proves you don't need to be mainstream to top the Billboard 200, at least these days. Two mainstays within the underground movement debuted within the top 10 of the Billboard charts this week.
We're still awaiting the albums of both Iggy Azalea and Future to enter the charts, but this week we've got two new entries coming from August Alsina's Testimony and Dizzy Wright's State Of Mind EP.
Despite having big tracks like "Lookin' Ass" and "Trophies" attached to it, Young Money's Rise Of An Empire, much like the Rich Gang compilation before it, suffered from a lack of promotion.
YG just released his debut album today, and the sales projections for the project are already in. My Krazy Life, which was released on Def Jam, is expected to do reasonable numbers this week, predicted to move about 45-55,000 units.
Young Money's new album, Young Money: Rise Of An Empire officially dropped today, without very much buzz or noise. Perhaps the somewhat flat tracklist, with a lack of big names attached to it, is to blame for this.
- Kanye West To Perform "808s & Heartbreak" In Its Entirety In LA1,368 Views8 Comments
- 28 Grams: Hip Hop Instagram Recap (August 22-28)2,126 Views21 Comments
- Drake's Team Says Apple Didn't Interfere With Lil Weezyana Stream, Calls It A "Publicity Stunt"17,014 Views108 Comments
- Stream Two-9's New EP, "#AugustTwo9"3,558 Views11 Comments
- Lil Wayne Brought Out Drake, Curren$y, Master P & More At Lil Weezyana Fest27,257 Views32 Comments
- Jeezy Has Something New Coming In Two Days11,397 Views55 Comments
- Apple Blocked Tidal From Streaming Drake's Performance At Lil Weezyana Fest18,208 Views65 Comments
- Stream Lil Wayne's "Lil Weezyana Fest" On Tidal19,452 Views49 Comments
- Shy Glizzy & Zaytoven Announce New Mixtape "For Trappers Only"8,690 Views27 Comments
- First Week Sales Projections For The Weeknd's "Beauty Behind The Madness"28,952 Views87 Comments
- Ticket Giveaway: Mick Jenkins' "Wave[s]" Tour2,095 Views5 Comments
- The Game Reveals "The Documentary 2" Cover & Release Date58,202 Views213 Comments
- Staff Picks Playlist (August 28)2,583 Views3 Comments
- Young Buck Not Going To Jail Over Faked Drug Test5,905 Views23 Comments
- Toro Y Moi Drops Surprise Album "Samantha"6,731 Views21 Comments