When Drake released his newest mixtape, If You're Reading This It's Too Late, a few days ago, it took the internet by storm. Falling in line with Jay Z, Kanye and Beyoncé before him, he dropped it almost completely out of the blue, with no real warning.
J. Cole has come a long way from rapping about how to get up off the sideline. Three albums in, with 2014 Forest Hills Drive, the “God” is home. The Fayetteville, North Carolina native composed an honest, nostalgic album without any apologies.
There was a time not too long ago when Lil Wayne was widely considered the best rapper alive. Since 2009's No Ceilings, Lil Tunechi has left fans scratching their heads and wondering what happened to the once dominant Mixtape Weezy.
Everything about The Barter 6 is enigmatic.Firstly there's its author, Young Thug.
After dominating the majority of the most recent millennium, Free Weezy Album marks Lil Wayne's first foray into generating music without the safety net of the Cash Money Records machine that helped make him.
In the last two years between his last album and now, Rick Ross has been through a lot, including surviving a targeted hit on his life. Critics bashed God Forgives, I Don’t and many wondered if Ross had peaked too soon and lost his touch.
Meek Mill’s new album sounds like the Apocalypse.
Although none of his albums have really been critical hits, Kid Cudi’s main appeal is using outside, atypical influences and sounds to articulate some sort of emotional journey into the tortured soul.
After 2013’s wildly successful good kid, m.A.A.d city, Kendrick Lamar had an opportunity that very few artists ever receive.
A$AP Rocky’s relatively short career in the rap game has been one filled with high praise.
Cole World: The Sideline Story was considered somewhat of a disappointment to fans who really knew the raw talent that J. Cole posseses.
Originality is a rarity in modern hip-hop, and when an experimental album comes along, it tends to polarize listeners initially. Take Kanye West's new album Yeezus, for example.
We all know the story with Wiz and his albums, it's a tale as old as time. He goes super, extra hard on his mixtapes to shut up the critics who talked bad about his albums, only to make some of the same mistakes on the next album.
After he proved he was a bankable rapper, 50 Cent started his own imprint and made G-Unit his first priority. For a while Lloyd Banks, Tony Yayo, Young Buck and Fiddy were consistently putting out quality music that fed the streets.
Critics are always fighting conflicting urges. On the one hand, there's the need to be objective and evaluate each work on its own merits. On the other, there's the desire to fit each new release from an artist into an over-arcing career narrative.
Have you ever seen the viral video of Susan Boyle performing for the first time on Britain’s Got Talent? A superficially unattractive older woman walks out onto the stage to perform a song before hundreds of people and four judges.
Game doesn't quite get the respect he deserves. Sometimes things like his habitual name dropping and controversy divert attention from the fact that he has been one of the most consistent rappers over the last decade.
Since the release of We Are Young Money in 2009, Nicki Minaj has risen from femme fatale on the rise after dropping the excellent Beam Me Up Scotty to ubiquitous representative of aggressive femininity.
On Animal Ambition, 50 Cent returns to the old street-ready sound that made him a household name back in 2003. Unfortunately, a lot has changed in hip-hop since 50’s debut.
- Stream Key!'s Surprise 3-Track EP "No One Is Ready 3" 330 Views2 Comments
- Meek Mill Trolls Fans On Twitter With Fake Drake Diss Record7,007 Views84 Comments
- Online Petition Started To Force Funkmaster Flex To Resign From Hot 9710,605 Views49 Comments
- 50 Cent On Jay Z: "There's No L On His Record"18,908 Views68 Comments
- Top Tracks: July 20- July 266,882 Views12 Comments
- Tyler The Creator Says He's Banned From Australia 8,569 Views49 Comments
- Hip Hop Reacts To The Death Of Bobbi Kristina Brown6,070 Views16 Comments
- 5 Dope Tracks From Episode 2 Of OVO Sound Radio20,486 Views24 Comments
- Danny Brown Weighs In On Meek Mill & Drake's Ghostwriting Controversy29,586 Views109 Comments
- Will Smith & Jay Z To Executive Produce HBO Mini-Series6,592 Views17 Comments
- Drake's OVO Air Jordans Rank As The Most Valuable Sneaker Of The Second Quarter3,589 Views0 Comments
- The 10 Best Diss Tracks Of The 2010s25,280 Views132 Comments
- Ice-T & Coco Are Expecting Their First Child Together5,647 Views21 Comments
- The Weeknd Speaks On "Beauty Behind The Madness" In NY Times Profile9,278 Views30 Comments
- Joe Jackson Has Reportedly Suffered A Stroke3,430 Views27 Comments