When Drake released his newest mixtape, If You're Reading This It's Too Late, a few days ago, it took the internet by storm. Falling in line with Jay Z, Kanye and Beyoncé before him, he dropped it almost completely out of the blue, with no real warning.
J. Cole has come a long way from rapping about how to get up off the sideline. Three albums in, with 2014 Forest Hills Drive, the “God” is home. The Fayetteville, North Carolina native composed an honest, nostalgic album without any apologies.
There was a time not too long ago when Lil Wayne was widely considered the best rapper alive. Since 2009's No Ceilings, Lil Tunechi has left fans scratching their heads and wondering what happened to the once dominant Mixtape Weezy.
The Marshall Mathers LP dropped in 2000 and became the fastest selling solo album of all time, influencing a whole generation of artists with its unique and in-depth look into the bizarre world of Eminem.
We've all had time at this point to digest Kanye West's new expiremental album, Yeezus. Even Kendrick Lamar. In a new interview with MTV News, K. Dot speaks on 'Ye's lastest effort and venture slightly outside of hip-hop.
In the last two years between his last album and now, Rick Ross has been through a lot, including surviving a targeted hit on his life. Critics bashed God Forgives, I Don’t and many wondered if Ross had peaked too soon and lost his touch.
Cole World: The Sideline Story was considered somewhat of a disappointment to fans who really knew the raw talent that J. Cole posseses.
After 2013’s wildly successful good kid, m.A.A.d city, Kendrick Lamar had an opportunity that very few artists ever receive.
Although none of his albums have really been critical hits, Kid Cudi’s main appeal is using outside, atypical influences and sounds to articulate some sort of emotional journey into the tortured soul.
Originality is a rarity in modern hip-hop, and when an experimental album comes along, it tends to polarize listeners initially. Take Kanye West's new album Yeezus, for example.
"They want that old Sosa… for what doe?" Well, for good reason. Chief Keef ran into some icebergs with Bang Pt. 2, and the ship continues to sink. The same qualities that were present on his last mixtape reappear on Almighty So.
We all know the story with Wiz and his albums, it's a tale as old as time. He goes super, extra hard on his mixtapes to shut up the critics who talked bad about his albums, only to make some of the same mistakes on the next album.
After he proved he was a bankable rapper, 50 Cent started his own imprint and made G-Unit his first priority. For a while Lloyd Banks, Tony Yayo, Young Buck and Fiddy were consistently putting out quality music that fed the streets.
Critics are always fighting conflicting urges. On the one hand, there's the need to be objective and evaluate each work on its own merits. On the other, there's the desire to fit each new release from an artist into an over-arcing career narrative.
Have you ever seen the viral video of Susan Boyle performing for the first time on Britain’s Got Talent? A superficially unattractive older woman walks out onto the stage to perform a song before hundreds of people and four judges.
On Animal Ambition, 50 Cent returns to the old street-ready sound that made him a household name back in 2003. Unfortunately, a lot has changed in hip-hop since 50’s debut.
Since the release of We Are Young Money in 2009, Nicki Minaj has risen from femme fatale on the rise after dropping the excellent Beam Me Up Scotty to ubiquitous representative of aggressive femininity.
Game doesn't quite get the respect he deserves. Sometimes things like his habitual name dropping and controversy divert attention from the fact that he has been one of the most consistent rappers over the last decade.
The day after his 25th birthday Meek Mill released Dreamchasers 2. In one day, it became the most downloaded mixtape in recorded history.
- Kevin Gates Offers Opinion On Obama: "Get this N---a Out of Office"10,140 Views66 Comments
- Top-10 Fantasy Basketball Surprises 411 Views0 Comments
- Immortal Technique Arrested On Suspicion Of Assault And Robbery3,565 Views21 Comments
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Big L's "Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous"3,318 Views17 Comments
- Rich Homie Quan's Alleged Speedboat Getaway Is Untrue6,027 Views20 Comments
- O.T. Genasis Arrested In L.A. 10,737 Views26 Comments
- New Tupac Music Is On The Way13,569 Views75 Comments
- Charts Don't Lie: March 288,709 Views41 Comments
- Big Sean Has A BAPE Collaboration Dropping Next Month6,554 Views21 Comments
- Six Kendrick Lamar Songs Make Billboard's Hot 1009,737 Views94 Comments
- A$AP Mob Sued For Injuring Fan While Crowd Surfing 4,829 Views31 Comments
- The Game & DeJ Loaf Shoot "Ambitionz Of A Rida" Video5,210 Views21 Comments
- Tech N9ne Reveals "Special Effects" Tour Dates2,728 Views8 Comments
- Stream Ballout & Tadoe's "The Rise Of Glo Gang Empire"4,814 Views18 Comments