When Drake released his newest mixtape, If You're Reading This It's Too Late, a few days ago, it took the internet by storm. Falling in line with Jay Z, Kanye and Beyoncé before him, he dropped it almost completely out of the blue, with no real warning.
J. Cole has come a long way from rapping about how to get up off the sideline. Three albums in, with 2014 Forest Hills Drive, the “God” is home. The Fayetteville, North Carolina native composed an honest, nostalgic album without any apologies.
There was a time not too long ago when Lil Wayne was widely considered the best rapper alive. Since 2009's No Ceilings, Lil Tunechi has left fans scratching their heads and wondering what happened to the once dominant Mixtape Weezy.
After dominating the majority of the most recent millennium, Free Weezy Album marks Lil Wayne's first foray into generating music without the safety net of the Cash Money Records machine that helped make him.
Everything about The Barter 6 is enigmatic.Firstly there's its author, Young Thug.
Meek Mill’s new album sounds like the Apocalypse.
In the last two years between his last album and now, Rick Ross has been through a lot, including surviving a targeted hit on his life. Critics bashed God Forgives, I Don’t and many wondered if Ross had peaked too soon and lost his touch.
Although none of his albums have really been critical hits, Kid Cudi’s main appeal is using outside, atypical influences and sounds to articulate some sort of emotional journey into the tortured soul.
After 2013’s wildly successful good kid, m.A.A.d city, Kendrick Lamar had an opportunity that very few artists ever receive.
Cole World: The Sideline Story was considered somewhat of a disappointment to fans who really knew the raw talent that J. Cole posseses.
A$AP Rocky’s relatively short career in the rap game has been one filled with high praise.
Originality is a rarity in modern hip-hop, and when an experimental album comes along, it tends to polarize listeners initially. Take Kanye West's new album Yeezus, for example.
We all know the story with Wiz and his albums, it's a tale as old as time. He goes super, extra hard on his mixtapes to shut up the critics who talked bad about his albums, only to make some of the same mistakes on the next album.
After he proved he was a bankable rapper, 50 Cent started his own imprint and made G-Unit his first priority. For a while Lloyd Banks, Tony Yayo, Young Buck and Fiddy were consistently putting out quality music that fed the streets.
Have you ever seen the viral video of Susan Boyle performing for the first time on Britain’s Got Talent? A superficially unattractive older woman walks out onto the stage to perform a song before hundreds of people and four judges.
Critics are always fighting conflicting urges. On the one hand, there's the need to be objective and evaluate each work on its own merits. On the other, there's the desire to fit each new release from an artist into an over-arcing career narrative.
Game doesn't quite get the respect he deserves. Sometimes things like his habitual name dropping and controversy divert attention from the fact that he has been one of the most consistent rappers over the last decade.
Since the release of We Are Young Money in 2009, Nicki Minaj has risen from femme fatale on the rise after dropping the excellent Beam Me Up Scotty to ubiquitous representative of aggressive femininity.
- Stream Travis Scott's Debut Album "Rodeo"14,505 Views159 Comments
- Jay Rock's "90059" Dropping Tonight?21,706 Views128 Comments
- Casey Veggies Reveals Tracklist For "Live & Grow"7,758 Views22 Comments
- #TBT: Swizz Beatz-Produced Bangers4,864 Views20 Comments
- Rihanna Models For Dior Magazine5,429 Views19 Comments
- Lil Herb Signs Deal With Cinematic Music Group17,804 Views30 Comments
- Rick Ross Reveals "Black Dollar" Tracklist24,745 Views54 Comments
- 10 Times Rappers Were Banned From Countries9,305 Views17 Comments
- Judge Rules In Favor Of Tom Brady, Lifts 4-Game Suspension3,416 Views0 Comments
- A "Welcome To Death Row" Film Is Being Shopped Around14,462 Views39 Comments
- Janet Jackson Reveals "Unbreakable" Cover Art, Tracklist & Release Date4,754 Views21 Comments
- Migos Annnounce "Back To The Bando"9,225 Views23 Comments
- Gucci Mane To Release Autobiography "Within The Next Year"10,376 Views49 Comments
- The Weeknd To Perform At Apple Music Festival5,346 Views26 Comments