When Drake released his newest mixtape, If You're Reading This It's Too Late, a few days ago, it took the internet by storm. Falling in line with Jay Z, Kanye and Beyoncé before him, he dropped it almost completely out of the blue, with no real warning.
J. Cole has come a long way from rapping about how to get up off the sideline. Three albums in, with 2014 Forest Hills Drive, the “God” is home. The Fayetteville, North Carolina native composed an honest, nostalgic album without any apologies.
There was a time not too long ago when Lil Wayne was widely considered the best rapper alive. Since 2009's No Ceilings, Lil Tunechi has left fans scratching their heads and wondering what happened to the once dominant Mixtape Weezy.
Everything about The Barter 6 is enigmatic.Firstly there's its author, Young Thug.
In the last two years between his last album and now, Rick Ross has been through a lot, including surviving a targeted hit on his life. Critics bashed God Forgives, I Don’t and many wondered if Ross had peaked too soon and lost his touch.
Although none of his albums have really been critical hits, Kid Cudi’s main appeal is using outside, atypical influences and sounds to articulate some sort of emotional journey into the tortured soul.
After 2013’s wildly successful good kid, m.A.A.d city, Kendrick Lamar had an opportunity that very few artists ever receive.
Cole World: The Sideline Story was considered somewhat of a disappointment to fans who really knew the raw talent that J. Cole posseses.
A$AP Rocky’s relatively short career in the rap game has been one filled with high praise.
Originality is a rarity in modern hip-hop, and when an experimental album comes along, it tends to polarize listeners initially. Take Kanye West's new album Yeezus, for example.
We all know the story with Wiz and his albums, it's a tale as old as time. He goes super, extra hard on his mixtapes to shut up the critics who talked bad about his albums, only to make some of the same mistakes on the next album.
After he proved he was a bankable rapper, 50 Cent started his own imprint and made G-Unit his first priority. For a while Lloyd Banks, Tony Yayo, Young Buck and Fiddy were consistently putting out quality music that fed the streets.
Critics are always fighting conflicting urges. On the one hand, there's the need to be objective and evaluate each work on its own merits. On the other, there's the desire to fit each new release from an artist into an over-arcing career narrative.
Have you ever seen the viral video of Susan Boyle performing for the first time on Britain’s Got Talent? A superficially unattractive older woman walks out onto the stage to perform a song before hundreds of people and four judges.
Since the release of We Are Young Money in 2009, Nicki Minaj has risen from femme fatale on the rise after dropping the excellent Beam Me Up Scotty to ubiquitous representative of aggressive femininity.
Game doesn't quite get the respect he deserves. Sometimes things like his habitual name dropping and controversy divert attention from the fact that he has been one of the most consistent rappers over the last decade.
On Animal Ambition, 50 Cent returns to the old street-ready sound that made him a household name back in 2003. Unfortunately, a lot has changed in hip-hop since 50’s debut.
Sir Robert Bryson Hall II even sounds like future royalty. Professionally known as Logic, the massively talented Maryland MC has that potential. He’s also an interesting meta case study of multiple perspectives.
The day after his 25th birthday Meek Mill released Dreamchasers 2. In one day, it became the most downloaded mixtape in recorded history.
- Eminem Debuts Official Video For “Phenomenal” On Apple Music711 Views7 Comments
- 10 Luxury Raps Found On Tyga's "The Gold Album"9,777 Views34 Comments
- Childish Gambino's "Atlanta" TV Show Gets A Cast7,483 Views2 Comments
- Rae Sremmurd Say 2nd Album Dropping In December, Wiz Khalifa Collab Coming Soon8,946 Views27 Comments
- Gucci Mane Announces "The Stars Of The Trap" Tour11,022 Views29 Comments
- Real Vs. Fake 'Shattered Backboard' Air Jordan 1435 Views0 Comments
- Kendrick Lamar Responds To Fox News Criticism Of BET Awards Performance27,877 Views112 Comments
- Review: Meek Mill's "Dreams Worth More Than Money"21,668 Views219 Comments
- Future Explains Why He Nixed His BET Awards Performance23,858 Views41 Comments
- Meek Mill Says Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole Don't Inspire HIm26,492 Views201 Comments
- #TBT: A Tribe Called Quest1,272 Views7 Comments
- Chris Brown Files Documents To Establish Paternity 12,086 Views29 Comments
- First Look At The Yeezy 950 Boot Releasing This Fall4,721 Views0 Comments
- First Week Sales Projections For Meek Mill’s “Dreams Worth More Than Money”37,049 Views149 Comments
- Rick Ross Released From Jail After Posting $2 Million Bail36,450 Views95 Comments
You may also like...