Action Bronson’s new album is a bid to be considered the funniest man in hip hop. A week after Kendrick Lamar’s album has the entire culture debating race, politics, and society, Mr.
After 2013’s wildly successful good kid, m.A.A.d city, Kendrick Lamar had an opportunity that very few artists ever receive.
Critics are always fighting conflicting urges. On the one hand, there's the need to be objective and evaluate each work on its own merits. On the other, there's the desire to fit each new release from an artist into an over-arcing career narrative.
Straight out of Long Beach, CA, Joey Fatts is the epitome of a rapper from the streets. He tells his story of being raised in the same neighborhood that was home to hip hop legends Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg on Ill Streets Blues.
In the era of Yeezus Christ and King Kendrick, it's easy to fall into the mindset that every hip-hop album should be an experiment in pushing hip-hop forward. Every track should ooze with idealism and what's new. This feeling goes double for mixtapes.
When Drake released his newest mixtape, If You're Reading This It's Too Late, a few days ago, it took the internet by storm. Falling in line with Jay Z, Kanye and Beyoncé before him, he dropped it almost completely out of the blue, with no real warning.
Lupe Fiasco has been in a battle with Atlantic records for what seems to be forever. We all know about his discontent with Lasers and on his mixtape Friend of the People he made it clear that he wanted off the label.
The first Luca Brasi Story, released last February, put Kevin Gates on the map. Soon after, he quietly inked a partnership with Atlantic and a management deal with Young Money.
Ludacris is a veteran in the game. Lyrics, beats, hit songs, a unique style; over his 10-plus year career he has obviously shown why he has been one of the most respected and successful stars in hip hop.
After 14 years of waiting, D’Angelo’s surprise album Black Messiah had every right to be the R&B/Soul equivalent of Guns & Roses' Chinese Democracy - a creaky mess that was done no favors by the weight of fan expectations.
J. Cole has come a long way from rapping about how to get up off the sideline. Three albums in, with 2014 Forest Hills Drive, the “God” is home. The Fayetteville, North Carolina native composed an honest, nostalgic album without any apologies.
A weird thing happens when an artist gets signed to a major label. It seems, no matter how talented they are, no matter how much their fans are willing to support, debut albums almost always come up short. There have been exceptions, of course.
The most interesting hip-hop event of the year has been the meteoric rise of Bobby Shmurda, brought on with the Jahlil Beats-produced “Hot Nigga,” the most surprising single in recent history.
Part of Future’s appeal lies in a musically indefinable existence. While both Pluto (and the 3D version) and Honest became somewhat of a set template for artists like Travi$ Scott, Future himself is a blend of the past, some not so distant.
Rick Ross and the Maybach Music Group have taken their time with Stalley. Signed in 2011, the same year as Meek Mill and Wale (who were almost immediately launched in to mainstream eyes), the MC is just getting a proper debut album released.
El-P was first brought to Killer Mike's studio to commission a beat, or two, for Mike’s R.A.P.
With a face often free of make-up and a childlike voice that delivers bars filled with tales of gun violence, come-p wishes, survival and tipsy nights off Hennessy, DeJ Loaf, the 23-year-old baby-faced rapper-singer, who hails from the East side of Detroit cur
Sir Robert Bryson Hall II even sounds like future royalty. Professionally known as Logic, the massively talented Maryland MC has that potential. He’s also an interesting meta case study of multiple perspectives.
- Wiz Khalifa & Amber Rose Are Working Toward Joint Custody Of Their Son1,087 Views5 Comments
- Travi$ Scott & Young Thug Bring Out Kanye West & Chris Brown In L.A.2,774 Views15 Comments
- Kevin Gates Offers Opinion On Obama: "Get this N---a Out of Office"16,628 Views84 Comments
- Classic Rotation: Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version"1,827 Views7 Comments
- Top-10 Fantasy Basketball Surprises 641 Views0 Comments
- Immortal Technique Arrested On Suspicion Of Assault And Robbery5,315 Views23 Comments
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Big L's "Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous"4,370 Views19 Comments
- Rich Homie Quan's Alleged Speedboat Getaway Is Untrue7,558 Views20 Comments
- O.T. Genasis Arrested In L.A. 12,855 Views28 Comments
- New Tupac Music Is On The Way16,662 Views80 Comments
- Charts Don't Lie: March 2810,038 Views48 Comments
- Big Sean Has A BAPE Collaboration Dropping Next Month7,653 Views21 Comments
- Six Kendrick Lamar Songs Make Billboard's Hot 10011,233 Views94 Comments
- A$AP Mob Sued For Injuring Fan While Crowd Surfing 5,348 Views32 Comments
- The Game & DeJ Loaf Shoot "Ambitionz Of A Rida" Video6,118 Views22 Comments