By nearly quadrupling its budget in two weeks, "Straight Outta Compton" has demonstrated to studio execs that rap biopics can be extremely profitable, thus opening the door for movies about groups like the Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Run-DMC, & T
Straight Outta Compton set box office records last weekend, but its success is far from over. Variety reports that the acclaimed N.W.A. biopic is the highest grossing film of the week, putting it at the top of box office earnings once again.
Universal Denies Rumors Of Snoop Dogg & Tupac-centric Sequel To "Straight Outta Compton" Aug 22, 2015 at 09:51am
With the introduction of a few familiar faces in the film's final third, it seemed inevitable that Straight Outta Compton would spawn some sort of spin-off that followed the likes of Snoop Dogg and Tupac.
"Straight Outta Compton" had a strong opening day, garnering $24.2 million in ticket sales in 2,754 North American theaters. Thursday night screenings raked in an estimated $4.96 million alone.
Gucci Mane continues to make moves despite being incarcerated. He announced this week that he'll be releasing his first movie "The Spot" on October 17, otherwise known as Bricksquad Holiday, via iTunes and other digital retailers.
With the anticipated film about N.W.A, "Straight Outta Compton," hitting theatres on August 14th, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and the actors who play them grace the cover of the new issue of The Hollywood Reporter.
Chance The Rapper continues to take on ventures outside of the traditional rap sphere. After putting on a free event for teens in the Chi, his latest move involves acting.
Big Sean is being tapped for the upcoming film "Terminator Genisys," a continuation in the sci-fi series that stars Arnold Schwarzenegger.
"DOPE" Soundtrack Features Nas, Digital Underground, A Tribe Called Quest & More Jun 4, 2015 at 10:23am
This summer we'll see A$AP Rocky make his acting debut in the film "DOPE," executive produced by Pharrell. Although Rocky's name has been used heavily in the promotion of the film, he said during his CRWN interview that his role is actually pretty small.
Straight Outta Compton, the long-awaited N.W.A. biopic is on its way, and while the focus is obviously on Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E and the gang, Snoop Dogg will also be portrayed in the feature.
Rush Hour is something of a beloved franchise, so news of a new installment to the series is not something to joke about. A new billboard in L.A. has suggested that a new film may be on its way... or it's all an elaborate ruse.
As an actor, Kanye West has made cameos in a number of films ("The Love Guru" and "Anchorman 2," to name a few), and starred in a few of his own, but he's never had that major of a role in someone else's movie.
Drake Distances Himself & OVO From "Homecoming" Film [Update: Drake Now Being Sued] Mar 18, 2015 at 09:49pm
Recently, news has been circulating of a Drake film called "Homecoming: The Lost Footage." A trailer surfaced for the film, which consists of footage from a 2009 concert at Toronto's Sound Academy, documenting a pre-Young Money Drizzy.
Rappers' feature film debuts are rarely as successful as T.I.'s in ATL. The 2006 film, directed by prolific music video director Christopher Robinson, earned pretty good reviews, and a cult-like appreciation upon release.
While Cudi has seemingly been keeping a low profile from a public standpoint, it turns out he's been working hard on both acting and music in over the last year.
Dan Charnas wrote a veritable hip-hop encyclopedia with his book "The Big Payback: the History of the Business of Hip-Hop." Although it reads more like a novel, it is encyclopedic in the way that Charnas includes information on just about every aspect of the
Recently we heard N.E.R.D reunite, finally, although the origin of the reunion was somewhat surprising: a SpongeBob SquarePants movie had called upon N.E.R.D to contribute to their soundtrack with "Squeeze Me."
The phrase "it's a movie" is used pretty often in the rap game to describe an epic or cinematic piece of music, but less often do rappers actually produce films themselves.
YG's follow up to his acclaimed debut album, My Krazy Life (which is sure to make it's way on to many year-end lists), is a soundtrack for his short film "Blame It On The Streets."
- Police Sketch Bears Strange Resemblance To T.I., According To Twitter3,459 Views14 Comments
- Charts Don't Lie: August 292,836 Views39 Comments
- Jay Z Caved And Got An Instagram Account16,834 Views50 Comments
- J Cole Brings Out Jay-Z, Big Sean, & Drake In Fayetteville40,407 Views53 Comments
- Kanye West To Perform "808s & Heartbreak" In Its Entirety In LA13,000 Views26 Comments
- 28 Grams: Hip Hop Instagram Recap (August 22-28)4,502 Views23 Comments
- Drake's Team Says Apple Didn't Interfere With Lil Weezyana Stream, Calls It A "Publicity Stunt"25,296 Views116 Comments
- Stream Two-9's New EP, "#AugustTwo9"4,939 Views12 Comments
- Lil Wayne Brought Out Drake, Curren$y, Master P & More At Lil Weezyana Fest36,076 Views36 Comments
- Jeezy Has Something New Coming In Two Days15,620 Views56 Comments
- Apple Blocked Tidal From Streaming Drake's Performance At Lil Weezyana Fest20,532 Views65 Comments
- Stream Lil Wayne's "Lil Weezyana Fest" On Tidal20,563 Views49 Comments
- Shy Glizzy & Zaytoven Announce New Mixtape "For Trappers Only"9,375 Views29 Comments
- First Week Sales Projections For The Weeknd's "Beauty Behind The Madness"31,639 Views88 Comments
- Ticket Giveaway: Mick Jenkins' "Wave[s]" Tour2,288 Views5 Comments