The hip hop crew is an essential part of success. Whether big or small, every rapper has an entourage.
Wu-Tang Clan soulquarians Common Erykah Badu D'Angelo death row Young Money cash money Black Hippy Kendrick Lamar ScHoolboy Q Jay Rock Ab-Soul Method Man GZA RZA Raekwon Ghostface Killah stones throw Madlib J Dilla peanut butter wolf G-Unit Lloyd Banks 50 Cent bad boy p diddy Diddy Notorious B.I.G. Tupac Snoop Dogg Dr. Dre Suge Knight d12 Eminem Proof Bizarre dungeon family OutKast goodie mobb cee-lo Andre 3000 Big Boi
After touring with Pete Rock all spring, Slum Village are almost ready to drop their new album Yes!. The album is set for commercial release on June 16th, but arrives a bit early today with a stream on their Soundcloud.
Unfortunately, a fair amount of talented hip-hop artists have passed away over the years. There's no easy way around it, but fame and fortune sometimes take the ultimate toll on an individual.
In a couple weeks, Slum Village will release their new album Yes!, featuring guest appearances and production from J Dilla, BJ the Chicago Kid, Jon Connor, Phife Dawg, Bilal, J Ivy, and others.
There are few artists who can make seriously great hip-hop albums that are captivating and cohesive for the entirety of their duration. However, those who do understand the medium do it really, really well, time and time again.
The Pharcyde is a Los Angeles hip hop group originally comprised of four members: Imani (Emandu Wilcox), Slimkid3 (Trevant Hardson), Bootie Brown (Romye Robinson), and Fatlip (Derrick Stewart). Today they cary on with just Imani and Bootie Brown.
While the Dilla Day celebration was already announced to be taking place in Miami this year as a full weekend,it's now announced to be taking place in Los Angeles as well.
While February 7th is celebrated as "Dilla Day" in Detroit, this year, the celebration will be going down in Miami as "Dilla Day" turns into a weekend event, February 5th through the 8th.
When hip-hop began, samples were all that DJs and producers had to construct instrumental tracks with. They'd dig through crates of vinyl trying to find isolated drum breaks, melodies or vocals that they could repurpose for use in hip-hop music.
Run The Jewels are earning critical-acclaim from just about every major publication for their new Run The Jewels 2 LP, but the biggest story to come from their fan appreciation night came from an entirely different hip-hop act: Nas.
Though he passed too early, J Dilla's legacy continues to live on.
Slum Village are readying a free EP, Vintage, for release later this year. They've previously shared "We On The Go," which featured Black Milk and Frank Nitt, and now they've unveiled the similarly-titled "We On," starring Kam Covert on the hook.
Stones Throw Records is a label responsible for many classic albums from underground artists, including Madlib, MF DOOM and of course J Dilla. Founded in 1996, it's built a well-respected reputation of putting out high quality rap from oft-slept-on MCs.
Veteran DJ/producer House Shoes, who also happens to be Detroit's Hip-Hop Ambassador To The World, is currently hosting a J Dilla remix challenge, inviting participants to flip the late producer's "Electric Piano Solo" interlude, from his 1997 EP Unreleased.
- Rick Ross Dropping New Music With The Dream Tomorrow1 View0 Comments
- The White House Responds To Kanye West's Presidency Bid16,416 Views74 Comments
- Review: The Weeknd's "Beauty Behind The Madness"8,789 Views69 Comments
- Lupe Fiasco Collecting Fans' Copies Of "Lasers" So He Can Destroy Them12,981 Views46 Comments
- Top Tracks: August 24 - August 304,081 Views10 Comments
- Rick Ross To Release New Album "Black Dollar" This Week11,474 Views67 Comments
- Trick Daddy Files For Bankruptcy4,102 Views20 Comments
- Kanye West Hosting Next Year's VMAs Is Reportedly "On The Table"5,406 Views21 Comments
- The Weeknd Talks "BBTM," Working With Kanye West, Influences5,223 Views19 Comments
- Travi$ Scott Announces "Rodeo" Tour Dates8,698 Views46 Comments
- Isaiah Rashad Teases A New Project Coming Soon6,346 Views34 Comments
- Chance The Rapper Critiques Miley Cyrus' Hosting Duties At MTV VMAs19,144 Views59 Comments
- "Straight Outta Compton" Becomes Highest Grossing Music Biopic Ever6,829 Views40 Comments
- Kanye West Is Willing To Help The Man Who Is Trying To Trade His Yeezys For A Kidney5,863 Views0 Comments