The numbers are in, and Jay-Z pulled through, as expected, with the #1 debut on the charts this week. Magna Carta Holy Grail actually moved more units than expected-- selling a whopping 528,208 copies opening week, according to HitsDailyDouble.
Every Song Off Drake's "If You're Reading This It's Too Late" Is Charting On Billboard Feb 26, 2015 at 09:47am
Over the weekend, on Charts Don't Lie, we saw how basically half of Drake's new project was charting on Billboard's Hot 100.
The numbers have arrived for 50 Cent's new solo album Animal Ambition. The album, which dropped on June 3rd, was projected to move around 30,000-35,000 units opening week.
ScHoolboy Q's "Oxymoron" Debuts At No. 1, Kid Cudi's "Satellite Flight" At No. 4 Mar 4, 2014 at 05:37pm
The numbers are in for both ScHoolboy Q's Oxymoron and Kid Cudi's Satellite Flight albums. Last week, according to projections, Q was on track to move 150-160k, while Cudder was looking like he'd sell 90-95k.
This wasn't a very exciting week for rap on the charts. Over the last couple cycles we've seen the same albums slowly descending, with Drake being the only record to have a second wind in recent weeks.
Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" Tops Billboard's 100 Hot Rap Songs Of The Last 25 Years Mar 8, 2014 at 03:20pm
When Macklemore is recognized in any hip hop category, the reaction is usually nothing short of an uproar. So was the case with his Best Rap Album Grammy win over Kendrick Lamar, yet Mack continues to come out on top.
Among a bevy of much poppier artists, G-Unit performed at this past weekend's iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas, and while backstage, the crew's de facto leader shared some of his thoughts on the gradual decline in record sales we've seen in the past few year
This week saw the debut of Snoop Dogg's Pharrell-helmed funk opus, which had a pretty modest opening, placing at number 14. While Tech N9ne blew us away with his top 5 debut last week, he fell considerably this cycle, moving all the way down to number 20.
This week is an exciting not only due to a lot of movement in the chart, but the fact that four rap albums take up the top spots on the Billboard 200.
While there were a couple of debuts this week, the top 2 albums were not able to be unseated. Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly is still sitting comfortably atop the charts, while the Empire soundtrack trails not-so-far behind.
This week marks the end of an era, with Wiz Khalifa's "See You Again" unseating the seemingly invincible "Uptown Funk". The success of Khalifa's record was seen in album sales as well with Furious 7 moving up to the top spot on the Billboard 200.
We're seeing a lot of Spotify records being broken these days, which says more about the prevalence of streaming than anything, but while Drake and Kendrick's recent triumphs could be seen from a mile away, Wiz Khalifa's new records are rather surprising.
The biggest story from last week's charts is far-and-away Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly, which hit iTunes a week earlier than expected, which seems to have benefitted the LP, despite a rocky start to the release.
Fox's Empire is the biggest breakout hit on TV this season, and as much as it seemed poised to earn a big audience, it's success has exceeded expectations.
This week's chart contenders prove to be rather boring, because not much has happened in the past week when it comes to rap, hip-hop and r'n'b charters. We've got Nicki Minaj doing what she does at her #2 spot, which she refuses to leave, we've got J.
According to Billboard.com, Nielsen SoundScan’s R&B/Hip Hop charts reports that album sales for R&B/Hip Hop are down 19 percent from this time last year. In 2013, 23.7 million albums were sold as opposed to this year’s 19.13 million.
Last week, Spotify announced, among other year-end lists, that Pharrell Williams' "Happy" was their most-streamed song of the year. Now, iTunes is saying it's their top-selling song of the year. Damn.
Eminem narrowly edged out the Beatles to become the best selling artist of the last decade, and it seems he's still competing with the band, now matching a Billboard record previously set by the fab four.
- Rihanna And DC Comics Beefing Over "Robyn" Trademark6,193 Views24 Comments
- Chelsea Celebrate Premier League Title By Singing O.T. Genasis' "CoCo"10,921 Views40 Comments
- ASAP Rocky Turned His Instagram Profile Into One Huge Art Piece25,938 Views43 Comments
- Underrated Audio: May 17 - May 233,529 Views1 Comment
- Listen To Dr. Dre "2Nite" Feat. Kendrick Lamar & Jeremih Leak45,063 Views113 Comments
- Classic Rotation: Common's "Be"3,153 Views17 Comments
- ASAP Rocky Is Given Acid By Makonnen, Proceeds To Have Sex With Nine Women74,560 Views117 Comments
- Kendrick Lamar Shoots "Alright" Video In The Bay18,368 Views55 Comments
- Juicy J Rushed To Hospital In San Francisco41,487 Views52 Comments
- Lil B To Deliver Lecture At UCLA This Thursday4,769 Views16 Comments
- New Akon-Led Initiative Aims To Bring 600 Million Africans Electricity10,364 Views52 Comments
- See Photos From Drake's Houston Appreciation Weekend15,826 Views18 Comments
- Los Angeles Lakers GM Says Next Year Will Be Kobe Bryant's Final Season4,424 Views0 Comments
- Charts Don't Lie: May 2319,288 Views20 Comments
- Must-Hear Instrumental Hip Hop Albums9,264 Views16 Comments
You may also like...
- André DeSaint "Work For Me" Video903 Views