The biggest story from last week's charts is far-and-away Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly, which hit iTunes a week earlier than expected, which seems to have benefitted the LP, despite a rocky start to the release.
This week we’re seeing a new entry with G-Unit’s The Beast Is G-Unit EP hitting the charts. Although it moved under 20k opening week, we doubt the Unit is too upset.
This week Drake is knocked from his pedestal ever so slightly, as Big Sean's new album Dark Sky Paradise is ushered in at #1. Drake moves to #4, which still isn't a bad look, considering he's above rivals Chris Brown and Tyga.
We'll be seeing a lot of Drake on Charts Don't Lie for the foreseeable future. The rapper dominated the Billboard 200 last week, and after getting bumped from #1 by Imagine Dragons' new album, he's sitting comfy at #2, moving over 150k in his second week.
Obviously the biggest topic of this week's Charts is Drizzy Drake. The rapper utilized the surprise release tactic that we've seen several artists find success with over the last year or two, and it definitely paid off for him as well.
This week proved to be a big one for hip-hop music, with Joey Bada$$ and Lupe Fiasco dropping their respective albums on the same day (January 20th), not to mention, free projects from Trinidad James, Lil Wayne, Yo Gotti and K Camp.
While Taylor Swift remains the reigning queen of the Billboard 200, we get a few new entries from the hip-hop sphere this week. Rae Sremmurd, as projected, landed a top 10 Billboard 200 debut with SremmLife.
This week's chart contenders prove to be rather boring, because not much has happened in the past week when it comes to rap, hip-hop and r'n'b charters. We've got Nicki Minaj doing what she does at her #2 spot, which she refuses to leave, we've got J.
This week we see a few fluctuations within Charts Don't Lie, however Nicki Minaj keeps the #2 spot on lock with The Pinkprint. It's not a bad resting place per say, although we're sure #1 would have felt that much better.
This is a pretty eventful Charts Don't Lie, as we were not only anticipating first week sales for the likes of Eminem, Rick Ross, Beyonce and Iggy Azalea, but we're now seeing the streaming initiative from Billboard in full effect.
This week on the charts proves to be rather uneventful, as there are no new entries to speak of, although G-Eazy was able to re-enter with These Things Happen. Cadillactica, on the other hand, experienced a steep drop from its top 5 debut.
While Taylor Swift's 1989 takeover of the charts continues, many of our r'n'b and hip-hop artists have been pushed down. Teyana Taylor actually finds herself the highest-up, debuting at #19, with her G.O.O.D. album VII.
This week the race between T.I. and Logic for the top spot on the Billboard 200 comes to a close. Many fans have been anticipating the competition between the OG and the newcomer, and the final tally finds Tip coming out ahead by less than 10,000 copies.
This week we're finding several new entries in the Billboard 200, although nothing took over the #1 spot. Keyshia Cole actually comes out on top this week, debuting at #9, moving 25,000 copies opening week.
This week we only have one new entry so to speak of, and it's r'n'b/pop singer Jennifer Hudson with her newly-released JHUD. The album didn't do very much damage on the charts, but it still enters within the Billboard's top 10.
Lecrae is on the way to becoming a household name, which is a feat for a rapper, let alone a Christian rapper. The rapper made an impressive debut this past week, with Anomaly topping the Billboard 200 and selling just under 100k, with 88,000.
This week we welcome Jeezy onto the Billboard 200, with his Seen It All album debuting successfully at #2. He wasn't able to trump the pop-power that is Maroon 5, nonetheless he did move more than projected.
- Jay Z Wants TIDAL To "Extend The Album Cycle" & Restore "Fair Trade" In Music9,266 Views18 Comments
- Top 5 "Shook Ones" Freestyles8,960 Views42 Comments
- Kanye West, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, J. Cole & More Announced As Owners Of TIDAL25,107 Views48 Comments
- Lil Wayne To Release "Free Weezy Album" In April?13,002 Views60 Comments
- Kevin Durant Lists His Top-10 NBA Players, Speaks On His 'Rap Career' + More2,014 Views0 Comments
- Rihanna's 10 Hardest Hip Hop Tracks4,612 Views9 Comments
- De La Soul Launch Kickstarter For First Album In A Decade1,577 Views20 Comments
- Waka Flocka Announces "Salute Me Or Shoot Me 5" Mixtape Release Date3,436 Views20 Comments
- A History Of Wiz Khalifa X Curren$y Collabs4,286 Views15 Comments
- 50 Cent & French Montana Clown Each Other On Instagram28,032 Views68 Comments
- Action Bronson Announces "Mr. Wonderful" World Tour4,132 Views12 Comments
- The Game Allegedly Punches Man During Pro-Am Basketball Game7,815 Views27 Comments
- Top Tracks Of The Week: March 25 - March 302,373 Views5 Comments
- A$AP Rocky Covers Complex6,758 Views16 Comments
- Leaked Images Of Jordan Brand's Summer '15 Lineup3,305 Views0 Comments
You may also like...
- Watch Jay Z's TIDAL Launch Announcement Live6,281 Views