This week nothing major dropped in terms of hip-hop. Nonetheless, overall album sales went up by 42%. To what can we blame this spike in sales? It would be safe to say Black Friday, which is basically the commencement of the holiday season/shopping frenzy.
Eminem found his way back to #1 on the Billboard 200, after spending a week at #2. The rapper sold the same amount that some rappers do opening week (if not more) and he's in his third week on shelves with MMLP2.
Well, it looks like DJ Khaled will in fact not be suffering from success with his latest album. His second week on the charts finds him plummeting more than 20 spots, and moving less than 10,000 units.
Last week we saw several independent rappers make their debut on the charts (sort of-- some of them didn't sell enough to actually chart, yet), but this week we return to the big guns, like Drake and DJ Khaled.
Nothing too big transpired on the charts this week when it comes to hip-hop. That's not to say there weren't hip-hop releases-- there most definitely were, however, none could top Drake's Nothing Was The Same at #4 on the Billboard 200.
This week everyone's favorite dope boy Pusha T finally made his Charts debut, with My Name Is My Name. The album, which has been praised highly by most, managed a #4 debut, selling on the lower-end of the projected amount, with 75k.
The past two weeks were dominated by Drake, who in turn dominated the charts with Nothing Was The Same.
This week has been Drizzy Drake everything, with the official release of Nothing Was The Same and a bunch of promo for it. Drake has not started taking over the charts yet, but that will change next week when we get the results of his first week sales.
This past week The Weeknd dominated the charts, although he was outshone only by country star Keith Urban. The race between the country star and r'n'b star was a close one, with 3,000 units making the difference for the #1 spot on the Billboard 200.
In the competition between the same-day release rappers Juicy J and Big Sean Juicy J appears to be taking the lead, although Sean debuted stronger than Juicy initially. Not to say they both haven't fallen quite a few spots-- they have.
This week we really saw the effects of Kendrick Lamar's verse on "Control" transfer over to the charts.
We have two new-comers to Charts Don't Lie this week, who come from opposite ends of the spectrum- Robin Thicke and Tech N9ne. Both artists had impressive debuts, with Thicke earning a #1 debut for the first time, and Tech N9ne earning his chart peak as well.
Last week we contemplated the low sales for Ace Hood's Trials & Tribulations album. This week, we see a severe drop for Ace's album, at the same time we get a new entry with similarly low sales, Rich Gang.
Our new entry on Charts Don't Lie this week belongs to Ace Hooooood. The rapper constantly on his grind delivered Trials & Tribulations after months of promotion, a huge hit single, "Bugatti," a listening event, among other things.
- A Migos & Young Thug "Migos Thuggin" Mixtape Is On The Way5,263 Views49 Comments
- London On Da Track Responds To Gay Rumors After Video Shows "Gay Porn" In Studio10,093 Views77 Comments
- Vince Staples' Brother Dies; "Xanax Killed My Brother"9,942 Views42 Comments
- Listen To PartyNextDoor's 7 New Tracks Premiered On OVO Sound Radio21,014 Views35 Comments
- Travi$ Scott Gives His Chain To A Young Fan With "Rodeo" Tattoo13,985 Views53 Comments
- Black Star (Mos Def & Talib Kweli) To Reunite In Australia1,204 Views11 Comments
- Amber Rose's Mom To Kanye West: "F*CK Yo 30 Showers!"13,139 Views64 Comments
- Quiz: How Well Do You Know ASAP Rocky?4,875 Views25 Comments
- PARTYNEXTDOOR & Boi-1da To Provide Mixes For Tonight's Episode Of OVO Sound Radio10,841 Views23 Comments
- Childish Gambino Invites Disappointed Australian Fans To New Show14,797 Views44 Comments
- Young Thug Shares Revised Tour Schedule6,851 Views64 Comments
- Victor Cruz Debuts The 'Haystack' Nike Air Cruz On The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon 4,487 Views6 Comments
- Stream Chedda Da Connect's "Chedda World: The Album"2,616 Views12 Comments
- Review: Lil Herb's "Ballin Like I'm Kobe"12,336 Views82 Comments
You may also like...