This past week The Weeknd dominated the charts, although he was outshone only by country star Keith Urban. The race between the country star and r'n'b star was a close one, with 3,000 units making the difference for the #1 spot on the Billboard 200.
In the competition between the same-day release rappers Juicy J and Big Sean Juicy J appears to be taking the lead, although Sean debuted stronger than Juicy initially. Not to say they both haven't fallen quite a few spots-- they have.
This week we really saw the effects of Kendrick Lamar's verse on "Control" transfer over to the charts.
We have two new-comers to Charts Don't Lie this week, who come from opposite ends of the spectrum- Robin Thicke and Tech N9ne. Both artists had impressive debuts, with Thicke earning a #1 debut for the first time, and Tech N9ne earning his chart peak as well.
Last week we contemplated the low sales for Ace Hood's Trials & Tribulations album. This week, we see a severe drop for Ace's album, at the same time we get a new entry with similarly low sales, Rich Gang.
Our new entry on Charts Don't Lie this week belongs to Ace Hooooood. The rapper constantly on his grind delivered Trials & Tribulations after months of promotion, a huge hit single, "Bugatti," a listening event, among other things.
This week all eyes are Kanye West, J. Cole and Mac Miller. But mainly Kanye West. The three rappers are releasing their respective projects two days from now (Tuesday, June 18th) and we will be watching the sales and the charts to see where each artist lands.
For now, rap releases have slowed down, but new ones are on the way. The month of June promises to be one full of album drops-- which all fall under a few different dates. The biggest date by far, is, of course, June 18th.
Last week we questioned the grip of Will.i.am's influence on the mainstream, with his solo effort, #willpower, moving less than 30k opening week. We could also blame this on the ever-waning sales of albums in general.
The new entries keep coming in on Charts Don't Lie. Recent weeks have seen quite a few releases that are within the hip-hop realm, as is often the case, because rappers like to release projects on the same day.
This week our newest entry in Charts Don't Lie is the former G.O.O.D. Music representer, Kid Cudi. The rapper announced his departure from G.O.O.D. Music shortly before the release of INDICUD, to the shock of most.
This week we see a new entry in Chart's Dont Lie, with Tyler, the Creator's WOLF having dropped on April 2nd. The rapper is definitely expanding his fanbase, with this album impressively debuting at #3 on the Billboard 200.
This week we saw Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience break another record, after first topping Lil Wayne's Tha Carter IV in first week sales, it became the first record in 2013 to crack one million sales, going platinum just two weeks after it dropped.
This week we were extremely impressed by the numbers that Justin Timberlake pulled with his new album, The 20/20 Experience. Within the hip-hop/r’n’b-sphere, we haven’t seen a chart topper sell the amount JT sold in a while. The artist pulled in
- Kendrick Lamar Covers Ebony Magazine5,260 Views36 Comments
- 140 Bars: Tweets Of The Week (May 16 - 22)5,711 Views10 Comments
- Nicki Minaj Releases "The Night Is Still Young" Video Exclusively On TIDAL10,663 Views52 Comments
- 50 Cent Sues Rick Ross For Allegedly Leaking His Own Baby Mama's Sex Tape24,506 Views55 Comments
- The Atlanta Hawks Are Begging Lil B To Show Mercy On Them5,879 Views0 Comments
- T'yanna Wallace Answers Questions From Biggie Fans5,326 Views9 Comments
- Staff Picks Playlist (May 22)1,878 Views1 Comment
- Eminem To Executive Produce "Southpaw" Soundtrack4,810 Views24 Comments
- French Montana Decries "Hateful Speech" Surrounding Chinx's Death29,480 Views56 Comments
- James Harden Has Been Cursed By Lil B The Based God6,943 Views0 Comments
- Fabolous Announces "Friday Night Freestyles" Mixtape15,190 Views53 Comments
- Wiz Khalifa Announces Sequel To "Rolling Papers" Album35,886 Views152 Comments
- Nicki Minaj Says Jay Z Collaboration Is Dropping Soon12,585 Views63 Comments
- Beanie Sigel Wants To Collaborate With Jay Z Again7,838 Views28 Comments
- The Weeknd & Drake Score MMVA Nominations7,864 Views17 Comments