This wasn't a very exciting week for rap on the charts. Over the last couple cycles we've seen the same albums slowly descending, with Drake being the only record to have a second wind in recent weeks.
This week we saw debuts from both Tyler, The Creator, and Young Thug. Neither artist is known to play on mainstream radio (though Thug gets a fair share of rap radio play), but each has a pretty supportive fanbase.
This week marks the end of an era, with Wiz Khalifa's "See You Again" unseating the seemingly invincible "Uptown Funk". The success of Khalifa's record was seen in album sales as well with Furious 7 moving up to the top spot on the Billboard 200.
This week is an exciting not only due to a lot of movement in the chart, but the fact that four rap albums take up the top spots on the Billboard 200.
While there were a couple of debuts this week, the top 2 albums were not able to be unseated. Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly is still sitting comfortably atop the charts, while the Empire soundtrack trails not-so-far behind.
The biggest story from last week's charts is far-and-away Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly, which hit iTunes a week earlier than expected, which seems to have benefitted the LP, despite a rocky start to the release.
This week we’re seeing a new entry with G-Unit’s The Beast Is G-Unit EP hitting the charts. Although it moved under 20k opening week, we doubt the Unit is too upset.
This week Drake is knocked from his pedestal ever so slightly, as Big Sean's new album Dark Sky Paradise is ushered in at #1. Drake moves to #4, which still isn't a bad look, considering he's above rivals Chris Brown and Tyga.
We'll be seeing a lot of Drake on Charts Don't Lie for the foreseeable future. The rapper dominated the Billboard 200 last week, and after getting bumped from #1 by Imagine Dragons' new album, he's sitting comfy at #2, moving over 150k in his second week.
Obviously the biggest topic of this week's Charts is Drizzy Drake. The rapper utilized the surprise release tactic that we've seen several artists find success with over the last year or two, and it definitely paid off for him as well.
This week proved to be a big one for hip-hop music, with Joey Bada$$ and Lupe Fiasco dropping their respective albums on the same day (January 20th), not to mention, free projects from Trinidad James, Lil Wayne, Yo Gotti and K Camp.
While Taylor Swift remains the reigning queen of the Billboard 200, we get a few new entries from the hip-hop sphere this week. Rae Sremmurd, as projected, landed a top 10 Billboard 200 debut with SremmLife.
This week's chart contenders prove to be rather boring, because not much has happened in the past week when it comes to rap, hip-hop and r'n'b charters. We've got Nicki Minaj doing what she does at her #2 spot, which she refuses to leave, we've got J.
This week we see a few fluctuations within Charts Don't Lie, however Nicki Minaj keeps the #2 spot on lock with The Pinkprint. It's not a bad resting place per say, although we're sure #1 would have felt that much better.
This is a pretty eventful Charts Don't Lie, as we were not only anticipating first week sales for the likes of Eminem, Rick Ross, Beyonce and Iggy Azalea, but we're now seeing the streaming initiative from Billboard in full effect.
This week on the charts proves to be rather uneventful, as there are no new entries to speak of, although G-Eazy was able to re-enter with These Things Happen. Cadillactica, on the other hand, experienced a steep drop from its top 5 debut.
While Taylor Swift's 1989 takeover of the charts continues, many of our r'n'b and hip-hop artists have been pushed down. Teyana Taylor actually finds herself the highest-up, debuting at #19, with her G.O.O.D. album VII.
This week the race between T.I. and Logic for the top spot on the Billboard 200 comes to a close. Many fans have been anticipating the competition between the OG and the newcomer, and the final tally finds Tip coming out ahead by less than 10,000 copies.
- Fabolous Announces "Friday Night Freestyles" Mixtape1,036 Views11 Comments
- Wiz Khalifa Announces Sequel To "Rolling Papers" Album13,232 Views97 Comments
- Nicki Minaj Says Jay Z Collaboration Is Dropping Soon7,849 Views43 Comments
- Beanie Sigel Wants To Collaborate With Jay Z Again4,712 Views24 Comments
- The Weeknd & Drake Score MMVA Nominations5,176 Views13 Comments
- TBT: Ice Cube5,219 Views18 Comments
- PayPal Ordered To Re-Pay $15 Million For Scamming Customers7,644 Views0 Comments
- Flavor Flav Arrested On DUI & Possession Charges10,298 Views28 Comments
- Biggie Tracks To Commemorate His 43rd Birthday3,708 Views18 Comments
- Is Meek Mill Dropping A Mixtape Next Month?20,647 Views42 Comments
- Tracklist Revealed For A$AP Rocky's "A.L.L.A"36,862 Views177 Comments
- Digital Cover Story: Dizzy Wright (May/June)2,862 Views6 Comments
- 2014-15 All-NBA Teams Announced1,865 Views0 Comments
- New Drake & Beyonce Collaboration "Can I" Leaks Online35,527 Views63 Comments
- Ab-Soul Hints At Collaboration With Isaiah Rashad6,647 Views31 Comments