Rocky and Boosie finally dropped, new Drake and The Weeknd songs leaked, and we still haven't gotten finally got Donnie Trumpet and Chance The Rapper's Surf. It was a busy week, and as usual, Twitter was popping to match.
After a big first quarter, May has been kind of a slump month for releases, as there's tons of noteworthy projects planned for this summer, but the last few weeks have mostly been dominated by singles, videos and news.
New music! Jokes! Late graduations! Blunted revelations! Brotherly love! All of this and more on this week's edition of 140 Bars. Read on to get the best tweets in hip hop, from everyone from Kanye West to Lil B.
We seem to be hitting somewhat of a lull in the album release cycle, with some big drops coming in June and July (Lil Durk, Migos, Frank Ocean), but no huge ones coming in this week or the next (unless we actually do get Chance The Rapper's Donnie Trumpet &
This time last week, we had no idea that Tyler, The Creator and Young Thug would be giving us new projects by the end of April, but I guess that's how things work now.
This week, we saw big releases from Wale and Ludacris, the (anticlimactic) announcement of Jay Z's new TIDAL streaming service, and some sick new tapes from T-Pain, iLoveMakonnen and Wiz Khalifa/Ty Dolla $ign.
This week, we learned that you should not appropriate rap lyrics if you're a breakfast food chain — lest you want Nicki Minaj to call you out. It was an educational week in rap, actually.
Kanye wept. Drake reigned. Dark Sky Paradise happened. This week in hip-hop can be summarized in those three tersely worded sentences. It makes sense because this week has been weird everywhere else. There's something going about a dress and llamas.
Things turned down a few notches after last week, which isn't a bad thing considering how crazy that week was. Kanye West returned to The Breakfast Club, and that was pretty much the biggest thing.
This week featured one of the craziest news cycles all around in recent memory. If you used Google or have been alive the past week, you're fully aware hip-hop has turned up. In fact, some are arguing this year is already better than all of 2015.
This week has been a mixed bag, which is unfortunate since it started off good. Missy Elliott came back, messed around and stole Iggy Azalea's Super Bowl performance. Will this put impetus on Missy E to put out a new album soon? One can hope.
What a week it has been in hip-hop. It's a week that got kicked off with tragedy. It's going to take some time for the wound that A$AP Yams left us to heal.But the game still continues just like he would've wanted.
The first full week of 2015 comes with quite a bit of news. First, is the sad news of legendary SportsCenter anchor Stuart Scott, who passed away after a long battle with cancer. Then, there was the Charlie Hebdo situation in France.
To say a lot of stuff happened this week would be a complete understatement. So we won't and will just give you a short recap. For one, we're living in a world where there's a new D'Angelo album.
How did this week go? Not great. By another miracle of the justice system, Darren Wilson got away with murdering Michael Brown; a grand jury decided to not indict him.
The rap game is still buzzing as we head into the final weeks of the year and await for the hearing from Ferguson. While the latter hasn't been announced when this post was published, rappers did find other things to be outraged about.
Did the Internet break? No, but we certainly got a lot of things to tweet about just because of the power of one ass. Kim Kardashian's booty was displayed in its full, majesty force — along with other lady parts — on the latest Paper Magazine cover.
We get a little bit of everything this week in hip-hop, including a surprise. It didn't look like it was coming anytime soon, but Azealia Banks ' debut — Broke With Expensive Tastes — is finally here.
This week, it dropped: tryna masturbate while listening to #RTJ2 @therealelp @KillerMikeGTO @runjewels pic.twitter.com/LpfWSuFjVX — Cam Fedirko #80 (@c_fedirko) October 30, 2014
We live in strange times — times where 42-year-old OGs beef on Instagram with Australian pop rap artists in their 20s. This ain't fiction: Snoop Dogg and Iggy Azalea were going at it.
The good news is that this week saw the release of Flying Lotus' You're Dead and Tinashe Aquarius. One is arguably one of the top three albums of the year and the other is a really good R&B album. But good music doesn't stop the world.
Last week saw the appraisal of one type of love and the destruction of another. Kendrick Lamar finally dropped the highly anticipated "i," and it raised more questions than hype.
- Charts Don't Lie: May 302,723 Views14 Comments
- Sony Will Not Pull Beyonce's Music From TIDAL2,208 Views16 Comments
- Review: Dizzy Wright's "The Growing Process"4,129 Views35 Comments
- Earl Sweatshirt Confirms "The Obvious": Odd Future Is No More17,341 Views32 Comments
- Vince Staples Shares "Summertime '06" Artwork4,380 Views26 Comments
- Action Bronson's Public NXNE Performance Cancelled Following Misogyny Criticism10,823 Views45 Comments
- Nicki Minaj "Demands" Orgasms, Advises Women To Do The Same38,596 Views90 Comments
- 140 Bars: Tweets Of The Week (May 23 - 29)7,234 Views5 Comments
- The #SausageMovement Doesn't Appreciate Lil Mama's New Song23,696 Views44 Comments
- President Obama's 'MTM' Air Jordan Pack Officially Revealed4,698 Views0 Comments
- Iggy Azalea Cancels Entire "Great Escape" Tour19,942 Views78 Comments
- "SURF" Got You Feeling Like What? Fans Rejoice On Twitter12,019 Views51 Comments
- A$AP Rocky Says He Wanted To Re-Do His Verse On "M'$" After Hearing Lil Wayne's31,120 Views59 Comments
- Allen Iverson Announces Multi-Year Partnership With Stance Socks3,349 Views0 Comments
- Beyoncé's Albums Could Potentially Be Stripped From Tidal13,681 Views21 Comments
You may also like...
- Sino "Slappin" Video (Heatseekers)298 Views
- 50 Cent Shares His Thoughts On Tidal6,576 Views
- Cory Gunz "Shut Em Down" Video1,414 Views