Holy beef. This week saw arguably more online clashes in the rap game than any other week in the past five years, with Nicki Minaj v. Taylor Swift, Meek Mill v. Drake, Boi-1da v. OG Maco, Ghostface Killah v. Action Bronson, and Bruno Mars v.
Does social media inherently make everyone more petty? That's the question that this edition of "140 Bars" begs, what with "beef" translating to snarky subs more and more these days.
This week was wild. We got to hear new albums by Miguel, Vince Staples, King Los and Tyga, great new tapes from Boogie and Tory Lanez, and some true heat in the form of singles from Future, Meek Mil and The Game.
This past week, Twitter was mostly dominated by three things: the wild conclusion of Game of Thrones' fifth season, the launch of Orange is the New Black's third season, and most importantly, the Rachel Dolezal scandal.
As summer rolls around, the rap game's just starting to pick up steam again after a relatively slow month.
Rocky and Boosie finally dropped, new Drake and The Weeknd songs leaked, and we still haven't gotten finally got Donnie Trumpet and Chance The Rapper's Surf. It was a busy week, and as usual, Twitter was popping to match.
After a big first quarter, May has been kind of a slump month for releases, as there's tons of noteworthy projects planned for this summer, but the last few weeks have mostly been dominated by singles, videos and news.
New music! Jokes! Late graduations! Blunted revelations! Brotherly love! All of this and more on this week's edition of 140 Bars. Read on to get the best tweets in hip hop, from everyone from Kanye West to Lil B.
We seem to be hitting somewhat of a lull in the album release cycle, with some big drops coming in June and July (Lil Durk, Migos, Frank Ocean), but no huge ones coming in this week or the next (unless we actually do get Chance The Rapper's Donnie Trumpet &
This time last week, we had no idea that Tyler, The Creator and Young Thug would be giving us new projects by the end of April, but I guess that's how things work now.
This week, we saw big releases from Wale and Ludacris, the (anticlimactic) announcement of Jay Z's new TIDAL streaming service, and some sick new tapes from T-Pain, iLoveMakonnen and Wiz Khalifa/Ty Dolla $ign.
This week, we learned that you should not appropriate rap lyrics if you're a breakfast food chain — lest you want Nicki Minaj to call you out. It was an educational week in rap, actually.
Kanye wept. Drake reigned. Dark Sky Paradise happened. This week in hip-hop can be summarized in those three tersely worded sentences. It makes sense because this week has been weird everywhere else. There's something going about a dress and llamas.
Things turned down a few notches after last week, which isn't a bad thing considering how crazy that week was. Kanye West returned to The Breakfast Club, and that was pretty much the biggest thing.
This week featured one of the craziest news cycles all around in recent memory. If you used Google or have been alive the past week, you're fully aware hip-hop has turned up. In fact, some are arguing this year is already better than all of 2015.
This week has been a mixed bag, which is unfortunate since it started off good. Missy Elliott came back, messed around and stole Iggy Azalea's Super Bowl performance. Will this put impetus on Missy E to put out a new album soon? One can hope.
What a week it has been in hip-hop. It's a week that got kicked off with tragedy. It's going to take some time for the wound that A$AP Yams left us to heal.But the game still continues just like he would've wanted.
The first full week of 2015 comes with quite a bit of news. First, is the sad news of legendary SportsCenter anchor Stuart Scott, who passed away after a long battle with cancer. Then, there was the Charlie Hebdo situation in France.
To say a lot of stuff happened this week would be a complete understatement. So we won't and will just give you a short recap. For one, we're living in a world where there's a new D'Angelo album.
How did this week go? Not great. By another miracle of the justice system, Darren Wilson got away with murdering Michael Brown; a grand jury decided to not indict him.
- Did Drake Actually Buy Charlamagne Tha God Bottles? 6,520 Views38 Comments
- Meek Mill Booed In Toronto Last Night11,528 Views43 Comments
- Twitter Reacts To Drake's Second Meek Mill Diss, "Back To Back"16,352 Views69 Comments
- Listen To Erykah Badu's New Mix886 Views1 Comment
- Scarface Reveals Tracklist & Cover Art For "Deeply Rooted"1,459 Views13 Comments
- A New 'OVO' Air Jordan 8 Rumored To Release This Year2,840 Views0 Comments
- Stream OJ Da Juiceman & Zaytoven's Joint Project "Juice vs Zay"3,218 Views25 Comments
- Stream Dreezy's "Call It What You Want" EP4,034 Views9 Comments
- VH1 Announces Premiere Date For The Game's Dating Show "She's Got Game"11,132 Views46 Comments
- Mariah Carey To Get Her Own Star On Hollywood Walk Of Fame3,802 Views24 Comments
- Shy Glizzy Arrested In Maryland20,239 Views23 Comments
- David Banner Sues Young Money Over Alleged Unpaid Royalties15,909 Views40 Comments
- Fetty Wap The First Male Rapper To Have Two Top 10 Singles Since Lil Wayne40,894 Views178 Comments
- Damian Lillard Releases New Song Using Classic Jadakiss Beat2,980 Views0 Comments
- Chance The Rapper Announces "Family Matters" Tour7,408 Views11 Comments