Rick Ross was scheduled to headline Detroit radio station HOT 107.5′s Summer Jamz 17 last night, but he didn't perform due to a hundred person mob that blocked him from entering the venue.
Earlier this year, Detroit's Trick-Trick released a single entitled "No Fly Zone" that saw him and Royce Da 5'9" attempting to enact a citywide ban on rappers who don't collaborate with Detroit artists or contribute in some way to the city's hip-hop scene. Now it seems like his call to action has been answered by other Motor City residents, as one hundred people congregated outside of local radio station HOT 107.5′s annual Summer Jamz concert last night, with the intent of barring headliner Rick Ross from entry.
Their plan worked, as Rozay didn't end up performing, and HOT 107.5's program director, Jay Hicks, was forced onstage to explain the MMG rapper's absence to the crowd. “We had Rick Ross right outside here tonight. At about 11 o’clock, when he was pulling up to come into Chene Park, he was met by 100 individuals outside. We have tried to pull every resource together and asked him to come back. He is in fear of his life.”
Though Hicks' claims (the last one in particular) have not been backed up by anyone from Ross' camp, Rozay did post a tweet and accompanying picture that deemed the human barricade a "peace protest."
Mastermind (@rickyrozay) June 22, 2014
Watch a video of last night's action below, in which you can see some shots of the "mob" and footage of Hicks' explanation.
[Update: Rick Ross Speaks On Incident]
After all the rumors and speculations from this weekend's incident in Detroit, Ricky Rozay finally tells his side of the story.
According to the bawse, a 100 person mob was never any reason to cancel the show, and that he never even made it to the venue. Rozay said his MMG crew arrived before he did to a pad-locked venue. Not being able to get in, Rozay was on his way to the venue when he turned around and went back to the casino. Blaming the promoter, Rozay was adamant that he never made it to the event, and that he never actually spoke with “this gentlemen" that reportedly blocked his camp.
“Just to be clear. I never made it over to the venue. Me and whoever this gentlemen is, we never crossed paths. He never spoke with Rozay, and I expect him to clarify that.” - Rozay
Rozay says its back at the casino where he started hearing stories about the 100 person "mob gang", etc. Saying that its all false, Rozay stated,
"I let that breath for a whole day, expecting someone to step up and say thats not true. No one spoke to MMG."
See what else Rozay had to say about it below. You believe Rozay's story?