Pat Riley issues a statement on Bosh's future with the Heat.
According to Pat Riley, Chris Bosh's playing days for the Miami Heat are "probably over." The 32-year old forward, who has been battling on going blood clot issues, failed last week's physical and team doctors were unable to clear him.
Bosh has urged Riley and the Heat doctors to allow him to play while on blood thinners, but it's just not worth the risk given his condition and three instances of blood clotting in the last 18 months. He missed the second half of the 2014-15 season due to blood clot issues and missed nearly 30 games last year after a recurrence of those same issues.
That said, he was still very effective when he was able to get on the court, averaging 20 points and 8 boards in 53 games with Miami last season.
Speaking with the media today, Riley said the the team is no longer working toward his return, solely because of his health and not because of cap ramifications.
Pat Riley, in meeting with reporters, says Chris Bosh's Heat career is "probably over" and team is not currently working toward his return— Ethan J. Skolnick (@EthanJSkolnick) September 26, 2016
Pat Riley insists that the team was working I get Chris Bosh back on the court and was only focused on his health, not cap ramifications— Ethan J. Skolnick (@EthanJSkolnick) September 26, 2016
Pat Riley says he has reached out to Chris Bosh to speak but did not receive a reply. Bosh will not be around the team for the time being.— Ethan J. Skolnick (@EthanJSkolnick) September 26, 2016