A weekly look at the performance of r'n'b and hip-hop albums on the Billboard 200.
Drake spent nine weeks at #1 before being dethroned, this time around, by Blink-182, whose record California now holds the top spot. R&B superstar Maxwell debuts at the #3 spot with blackSUMMERS'night, his first record since '09. Logic debuts at #16 with Bobby Tarantino and Desiigner begins his presence on the Billboard 200 at #22 with his mixtape New English. Elsewhere Snoop Dogg's Coolaid debuts at #40, and Roy Woods' Waking At Dawn debuts at #127-- we may see it grace Charts yet.
1) Drake - VIEWS: Drake's view from the top lasted quite a while, but he has finally been nudged. He's only dropped down to #2, but still. The 6 God tacked 117,373 TAEU and 38,194 copies in pure sales onto the album's continuing success.
2) Maxwell - blackSUMMERS'night: Maxwell arrives impressively at the #3 spot this week with his release blackSUMMERS'night. The R&B star moves 59,196 TAEU and a killer 56,506 in pure sales that prove his demographic is still very much into supporting the artist by purchasing his most recent work, even if you're not familiar with him.
3) Beyoncé - LEMONADE: Has Beyonce's fall from Billboard grace begun? This week the singer continues her descent, with LEMONADE falling to #4 after a week at #2. She's been charting for 11 weeks, one week longer than her oft-charting partner Drake. Her most recent studio release moves 38,872 TAEU and 26,060 in physical sales.
4) Rihanna - ANTI: Rihanna moves from the #5 to the #6 spot this week with her eighth studio album ANTI. Getting straight to the point, the album moved another 35,932 TAEU and 8,183 physical copies these past seven days.
5) Hamilton Original Broadway Cast Recording: Broadway phenom Hamilton also slips down this week, continuing the trend of drops this week (whereas last week we saw most these albums move up on the 200). The recording, which brings the musical to life in the comfort of ones home, car or headphones, descended two spots to #8. The musical moves 31,926 TAEU and 18,271 in sales during its 40th week on the charts.
6) Bryson Tiller - Trapsoul: Bryson Tiller's Trapsoul hasn't been in the top 10 for a minute, but he was close last week at #11-- this week he's further from the top 10 sights, positioned at #15. The break-out album has now spent 41 weeks on the Billboard charts, and it continues to thrive with 19,102 TAEU and 4,532 sales made this time around.
7) Logic - Bobby Tarantino: Logic's new project makes a relatively strong debut at #16. Bobby Tarantino, a surprise release from the Def Jam-signed rapper, moves 19,088 TAEU and 8,638 sales during its debut week.
8) Kevin Gates - Islah: Kevin Gates continues to do work on the charts this week, with Islah coming in at #19, just one spot away from last week's #18. This time around, he does 16,955 TAEU and 4,788 in actual sales.
9) Kanye West - The Life Of Pablo: Kanye West has reportedly only sold 1 copy of The Life of Pablo over the past week. That's pretty crazy. With streams, however, the record lands 16,764 TAEU, which is enough to give him the #20 spot.
10) Desiigner - New English: Desiigner's new mixtape didn't sell any physical copies, but, much like Chance The Rapper's Coloring Book (which, by the way, is sitting below Desiigner at #24 this week), it was streamed enough to make a debut at #22. With 15,662 TAEU, it's a nice time for the young Brooklyn artist.
Drake might have been bumped from having the #1 album this week, but he still has the #1 song on Billboard's Hot 100 with "One Dance." Desiigner's "Panda" continues to fall, but only to the #6 spot. French Montana and Kodak Black's "Lockjaw" debuts way down at #98, but we'll likely see it climb through out the summer, while Logic pops in at #100 with "Flexicution." DJ Khaled's "For Free" continues to climb, coming in at #20, giving Drake 10 songs overall on the Hot 100 and four in the top 20.