Posted by , Nov 24, 2014 at 05:22pm
Producer Rodney Jenkins reveals he's tapped Ariana Grande and Jessie J to remake "The Boy Is Mine."

Brandy & Monica ruled the '90s, and their song "The Boy Is Mine" was a big part of that. Earlier this year when word came out that Iggy Azalea and Keyshia Cole were remaking "Mo Money Mo Problems," the backlash was high. We'll have to see if Ariana Grande and Jessie J face the same criticism with their upcoming remake of "The Boy Is Mine." Chances are this will go over better, as the producer and co-writer of the original track, Rodney Jenkins, is involved.

In a new interview with HitsDailyDouble, Jenkins spoke on celebrating his 20-year anniversary within the music industry, and his plans to release a special project centered around it. This is where the two ruling pop singers Ariana Grande and Jessie J will come in, as Jenkins has tapped them to re-record the classic "The Boy Is Mine." Along with these two, Jenkins has also recruited Sam Smith to remake Whitney Houston's "It's Not Right It's Okay."

He says in the interview, "Next year is my 20-year anniversary and I’m doing a very special project. [With] some originals as well as reimagined hits. So for example, I'll do the 'The Boy Is Mine' with Ariana and Jessie J."

Will this be good?

[Update: Jessie J Says It's Not Happening] 

Despite what Rodney Jenkins said earlier, Ariana Grande and Jessie J will not be recording a new version of "The Boy Is Mine," according to Ms. J. Speaking to The Mirror at the American Music Awards last night, the singer said:

"No, it’s not true, neither of us have agreed. Sadly people are believing it. I spoke to Brandy and I was like, ‘no it’s not happening’. Monica and Brandy are the best.”

Now that this is cleared up, and the widely-panned Aaliyah biopic is said and done, '90s R&B purists can now breath a collective sigh of relief.

[via]

Ariana Grande & Jessie J Re-Recording Brandy & Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" [Update: Jessie J Says It's Not Happening]

Producer Rodney Jenkins reveals he's tapped Ariana Grande and Jessie J to remake "The Boy Is Mine."


Brandy & Monica ruled the '90s, and their song "The Boy Is Mine" was a big part of that. Earlier this year when word came out that Iggy Azalea and Keyshia Cole were remaking "Mo Money Mo Problems," the backlash was high. We'll have to see if Ariana Grande and Jessie J face the same criticism with their upcoming remake of "The Boy Is Mine." Chances are this will go over better, as the producer and co-writer of the original track, Rodney Jenkins, is involved.

In a new interview with HitsDailyDouble, Jenkins spoke on celebrating his 20-year anniversary within the music industry, and his plans to release a special project centered around it. This is where the two ruling pop singers Ariana Grande and Jessie J will come in, as Jenkins has tapped them to re-record the classic "The Boy Is Mine." Along with these two, Jenkins has also recruited Sam Smith to remake Whitney Houston's "It's Not Right It's Okay."

He says in the interview, "Next year is my 20-year anniversary and I’m doing a very special project. [With] some originals as well as reimagined hits. So for example, I'll do the 'The Boy Is Mine' with Ariana and Jessie J."

Will this be good?

[Update: Jessie J Says It's Not Happening] 

Despite what Rodney Jenkins said earlier, Ariana Grande and Jessie J will not be recording a new version of "The Boy Is Mine," according to Ms. J. Speaking to The Mirror at the American Music Awards last night, the singer said:

"No, it’s not true, neither of us have agreed. Sadly people are believing it. I spoke to Brandy and I was like, ‘no it’s not happening’. Monica and Brandy are the best.”

Now that this is cleared up, and the widely-panned Aaliyah biopic is said and done, '90s R&B purists can now breath a collective sigh of relief.

[via]

Comments

52
ADD COMMENTView Comment Thread