About Slum Village
Slum Village is considered among the greatest hip-hop groups to come out of Detroit. Today the group consists of artists Illa J, T3, and Young RJ, and used to include rapper Elzhi, Baatin, and legendary producer J Dilla. The latter two passed away, leaving T3 as the only remaining founder. To date, Slum Village has released seven studio albums and several other projects. Their second album, “Trinity (Past, Present and Future)” peaked at #5 on the US R&B charts and afforded the group more attention, although their debut album “Fantastic, Vol. 2” was popular as well.
The group has collaborated with numerous big-name artists and producers including D’Angelo, Pete Rock, Jay Dee, Q-Tip, Busta Rhymes, Kurupt, Common, Black Milk, Scott Storch, Dwele, Kanye West, John Legend, Phat Kat, De La Soul, Havoc, Blu, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Hi-Tek, and many more.
J Dilla left the group in 2002 to pursue his solo career and ultimately passed away in 2006. Slum Village dropped their seventh album, “Evolution”, in 2013. They have yet to announce plans for an upcoming project.
- The founders, J Dilla, Baatin, and T3, all attended Pershing High School.
- Their 2000 track “Get Dis Money” was featured in the film Office Space.
- J Dilla worked with the Detroit Police Department as a teenager.
- Their sounds were influenced by their – Baatin’s specifically – time attending church growing up.
- Dilla once told Pete Rock that when he began making beats, he was trying to be like him.
- Live It Up Slum Village Feat. Vice11K Views8 Comments
- Where Do We Go From Here Slum Village Feat. Little Brother6.8K Views0 Comments
- Yes Yes Slum Village5.9K Views4 Comments
- Forever Slum Village5.6K Views6 Comments
- Right Back Slum Village Feat. De La Soul5.3K Views10 Comments
- We On The Go Slum Village Feat. Black Milk & Frank Nitt5K Views6 Comments
- The Devil's Night: MixtapeD1283K Views 14K Downloads 87 Comments
- Dirty Slums 2Slum Village18K Views 4.1K Downloads 7 Comments