Kanye West & Jay-Z
|Given Name||Kanye West & Shawn Carter|
|Aliases||Yeezy, Yeezus, 'Ye & Jigga, Hov, Hovita, International Hov|
|Date of Birth||Jun 08, 1977 - Age 38|
|Hometown||Chicago, Illinois & Brooklyn, New York|
|Label||Def Jam, Roc-a-fella, Roc Nation|
|Ad-Lib||"Aughh" "Hova!" "Yeezy"|
About Kanye West & Jay-Z
As far as rap giants go, it doesn't get much bigger than Jay-Z and Kanye West. No mentorship is more coveted and examined in the genre. Jay-Z, already established as one of the genre's biggest icons, brought Kanye from obscurity to the forefront and watched him grow into a hugely influential, controvertial, and acclaimed figure in his own right. Their relationship has been closely scrutinized and it was, at times, famously tumultuous. They have regularly collaborated with one another on each other's albums, with Jay-Z popping up on nearly all of Kanye's albums and vice versa, in addition to Kanye West's longtime production of numerous Jay-Z tracks. They released their first collaboration together in 2011, featuring artists such as Frank Ocean and Beyonce and production being handled by a number of industry frontrunners, such as Q Tip and Kanye himself. The record also spawned a giant tour and many hit singles. Since the release of "Watch the Throne," the two have uncharacteristically remained distant artistically, not collaborating on each other's most recent albums, deliberately hightening the anticipation to their sequel collaborative album.
- Their combined estimated net worth tallies past 600 million.
- Jay-Z and Kanye West have what is famously described as a "sibling relationship." On Kanye's album Graduation, Kanye had a song about Jay-Z, entitled "Big Brother."
- Following the largely auto-tuned "808's and Heartbreak" by Kanye West, Jay-Z released a song called, "Death of Autotune," railing against the prominent use of the audio effect, although he claimed that Kanye's use of the method was acceptable.
- Jay-Z offered Kanye advice on his verse on the remix to the song, "Power," saying, "Life is a trip so sometimes we have to stumble/You gotta go through pain in order to become you"
- Before becoming a public mainstay, Kanye was expecting to appear at Madison Square Garden with Jay-Z, however was instead asked to buy "two tickets."