About Gillie Da Kid
Gillie Da Kid is an underground emcee from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who's proclaimed himself the king of the city, much to Meek Mill's chagrin. Since stepping foot in the game, the former Major Figgas member and Cash Money Records signee has released a slew of independent projects and collaborated with Pusha T, Beanie Siegel, Tamba Hali, Lid Buxs, Mr. Papers, Yo Gotti, 2 Chainz, Jai Sun, DeSean Jackson, Lou Williams, G.I. the general and more. Most recently, he starred in Force Of Execution alongside Steven Segal, Ving Rhames (a close friend) and Danny Trejo, received a major cosign from Will Smith and appeared on Cassidy's 11-minute, 16 emcee Philly posee cut "City Of Brother Slugs). Stay tuned for the further adventures of Gill Smith. (Oh yeah, he allegedly ghost-wrote the majority of Lil Wayne's Tha Carter, but we won't open up that can of worms.)
Photo credit: Steven Ferdman/Getty Images
- He was briefly signed to Houston imprint Suave House Records in the late nineties.
- Gillie fell out with Birdman and Cash Money Records due to publishing issues.
- He called out Lil Wayne on record in 2006, which led to increased exposure for a time.
- After calling out Lil Wayne in '06, both DJ Drama and DJ Kay Slay sought him out to record new material.
- Gillie Da Kid and the Major Figgas were once heavy hitters in Philadelphia's underground scene.